Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are These Envelopes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

74 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is the proper terminology of the envelopes in the pictures below? I know the envelope in the sealed package says "first day of issue" but does the gold border on the envelope signify something else?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6382 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two bottom ones are First Day Covers. The top one is also an FDC, but not serviced for some reason

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 06/09/2019 9:11 pm
Valued Member
74 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   02:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the Olympic first day covers, I have never seen one without the Olympic logo or some sort of imagery on the left side of the envelope. Also the postage stamp and rubber stamp are "upside down" meaning that when you turn the envelope over, the part of the envelope that you seal is on the bottom.

The envelope in the plastic wrap doesn't have a postmark or anything similar, which is odd.

Shouldn't the California envelope have some sort of rubber stamping as well?

I wonder if these were errors?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the envelope opens at the bottom edge, then yes, it's probably an error. My guess would be the printing is done on complete 'made up' blank envelopes, and some were put through the printer upside down.

The one in the plastic wrap doesn't have a postmark? I can see it clearly - a picture of a skier and 'First day of issue'.

The Canada one not having a 'rubber stamp' (AKA, postmark, AKA cancellation) just means it wasn't cancelled. Not an error so much as an unused example.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1535 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have never seen one without the Olympic logo or some sort of imagery on the left side of the envelope.

Anyone is able to send in an envelope with nothing on it for first day cancellation. They may or may not be planning on adding a cachet later. In fact, if you use the Olympic logo in your cachet/image, you should be paying royalties to use it.

The snowboarding FDC is an unofficial FDC] as it uses a cancel other than the "official" downhill skier cancel used on the third cover. cover is an event cover as Petert notes below.
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/10/2019 5:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djlirette to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second cover is an event cover that was probably when the snowboarding events started. The date is in February and the first day of the stamps was in January.
Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first two are not "errors" but rather the first one was never cancelled and the second one never had an additional commercial cachet printed on it. As such they have little or no interest or value to a FDC collector. The third one that has the "gold borders" is simply one that the company that printed the cachet on it decided to try to make it look fancy so they could sell more of them to collectors. Again, nothing special.
Valued Member
74 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should any of the above envelopes have been cancelled and should the one with the gold border have had a postmark? These envelopes look different than the ones that I have seen online with cancellations and cachets. The printing on some of the envelopes was upside down relative to the back of the envelope where you seal it.

So basically, these are all worthless oddities?
Edited by Torin - 06/12/2019 04:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1535 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   05:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should? As above, the first was never submitted for a cancel. It is rather meaningless and worthless to a collector that way.

The other two ARE cancelled. They have a pictorial type postmark and not the "standard" machine cancel you seem to expect. If you check FDCs and event covers from the same time period on eBay, you will find many such covers of both types with pictorial type cancels. If you looked online, it's really surprising you did not encounter items similar to the last two.

Nobody really cares if the printing is upside down on the back of anything this modern; it is likely that all of the same envelope design are the same way.

There is nothing rare or special about any of these. They are not oddities. I suggest you look up sold items either as FDCs or event covers on eBay to prove the relatively low value of the last 2 covers to yourself.
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/12/2019 05:28 am
Valued Member
74 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked eBay and found similar items, but nothing that matched and the terminology is confusing to a newbie like me .

I could find nothing even remotely similar to the envelope in the plastic wrap.

So basically the two Olympic themed envelopes are FDC or FDC event covers that have been cancelled by a pictorial type postmark?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
608 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
torin

Mystic stamps is selling that envelope for $2

#3552 2002 34c Winter Olympics, Ski Jumping

Classic First Day Cover
Ships in 1 business day. i
$2.00
Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can create a design on your computer at home and insert an uncacheted first day cover and print your cachet on that envelope. If you print just one it will be one of a kind but it will not have value to collectors other than yourself. You can put the envelope in upside down and print your home-made cachet upside down, or you can print it on the back of a cover or you can run it through your printer 3 times and have the image overprinted three times. Again the only value will be whatever you are willing to pay yourself for your creations. Large stamp companies do similar things except they typically have professional artists make their designs and they sell large numbers to collectors. These have a very minimal value to collectors as they are not at all rare. Sometimes such companies make covers that they do not bother to get serviced with a stamp and a cancel. Such covers are simply waste, not valuable oddities to collectors. Your first two covers have no value to collectors, your third cover is very common and might sell for about $1 unless you are buying it from a retailer who might charge you $2 for the cost of their time to handle it. That is all bad news if you are looking to sell things like this, but on the other hand that is all great news if you are going to collect things like this. You can make a very nice collection for very little money - you will receive more fun per dollar spent than almost anything else.
Edited by Kimo - 06/12/2019 12:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1535 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So basically the two Olympic themed envelopes are FDC or FDC event covers that have been cancelled by a pictorial type postmark?

Yes. This has already been stated more than once and more than one way. You are acting like someone going for a high post count and/or a troll at this point.
Valued Member
74 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kimo: Thank you for the informative explanation, which I sincerely appreciate, as it clarifies the subject for me, especially as a newbie to stamp collecting for enjoyment, not for profit. I purchased these in a stamp lot and had no idea what they were, hence my original post.
Edited by Torin - 06/12/2019 4:40 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05