Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ro8d Roulette Opinion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rwoodennickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up on eBay, and need some help determining whether it it real or fake. I have measured the cuts against a known good version, but the right side still looks funny to me. I have purposely left out part of reverse image and will post it with explanation later.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-stamps...t=true&rt=nc

Send note to Staff
Thanks,
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5822 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is that it's fake, created from a perforated stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
571 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have no experience with these but definately noticed that the rouletting on the left and bottom appear the same, and may be similar on top. But but it appears all over the place on the right side.
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the entire back. I was very disappointed that the seller mentions "some ink writing on back", and did not fully disclose what it was. I thought it to be a catalog number. Not only did it say fake, someone made it even worse by scribbling it out( black ink looked fresh, and same as writing on envelope). This one is going back, the same seller may have had to pull a fake RO93d from eBay that was listed with this one. Lesson learned, but it is tough to afford a pair.

Thanks,
Robert
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no replacement for experience and reference items. Even with a tattered one to compare it with, I could not decide if "fake" was a mistake. I looked at online images and still thought this had a small chance. Thanks to revcollector for your lifetime of experience.
Thanks,
Robert
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revcollector beat me to it. definitely made from a perforated stamp. measuring is not the only tool to use with roulettes. the shape of the cuts is usually the defining characteristic. looking at Eric Jackson's or Richard Friedberg's website or the big name sale m and m cats at the Seigel site will help you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5822 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They did a very poor job on the right side which made it easier, but this example was pretty obvious. As stated above, use the PF site, power search, and SAN to look at genuine examples to compare the roulettes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05