Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dutch Country Has Strong Group Of Forgeries & Related In July Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1043 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   3:30 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed this section while browsing their Topicals;

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/ts/ts32385.cfm
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not only some interesting reference material, but looks like there are some postal counterfeits, too. Nice!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2932 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is great stuff! Thanks for sharing Ken. Hopefully an unscrupulous individual does not buy the material and resell it as real.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4448 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   8:10 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 1694 looks like it would be a lot of fun to go through... well beyond my means for a curiosity though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1140 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that Dutch Country has posted their auction lots on that link, but I didn't see anything on their own web site.

No big deal, however, as the auction is quite weak in my specialty areas.
Edited by Climber Steve - 06/12/2019 2:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Hopefully an unscrupulous individual does not buy the material and resell it as real."

I know you don't intend this to be funny, rodgcam, but that is of course what is done all the time, especially with these early Japanese stamps. I'd guess waaay more than half of the Japanese earlies sold today are forgeries. Many were made for the so-called "tourist trade" at the turn of the last century and were mounted on sheets of paper as souvenirs of Japan. They're all over the place now so that it's actually difficult to find genuine early Japan. At times it seems as if the Japanese government flooded the market with these early stamps when the truth is a great number of them had nothing to do with the government. But at least they fill spaces in the album, I suppose. The Int'l Society for Japanese Philately sells a great booklet which describes in detail the fakes and forgeries of these early Japanese stamps. You don't really need "sample" forgeries if you consult that booklet. After awhile, a forged or fake stamp just "doesn't look right".
Edited by DrewM - 06/13/2019 01:27 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05