Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scotts Catalog 2000 And Stanley Gibbons 2014

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ireland2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking at getting a catalog for my stamp collection so when I put them in the stock book I can add the catalog number. Most all of my stamps are before 2000. While looking around eBay I found a set of Scotts (all 6) for $40 plus $14. As I continued I found the Stanley gibbons one, 2014 edition on cd for $55 including shipping from the UK.

I like the fact that the Gibbons one has over 300,000 pictures. The stamps I have already done are done with the Scotts numbers.

Which would everyone recommend. I am in Southern California if it is worth anything.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Gibbons catalog may be a pirated copy using simple image scans converted to PDF. In other words, not a Word or publishing file with search or indexing features.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
223 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ireland2018...

While Scott is far from extensive in its coverage, it has endured. And has gained respect as a good, general purpose catalogue.

And the price you cited is very reasonable.

The opinion of a fellow southern Californian.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4276 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   2:24 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the one you mean?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANLEY-...AOSwuTNcsdQ6

As shermae says, it seems that someone has made PDFs of the printed catalogue (not something I'd care to do myself for six large volumes). Bear in mind that this is SG's simplified world catalogue. As such, it's not strictly comparable to Scott, which includes, I think, watermark and perf details etc. Stamps of the World is geared to those who want an example of a stamp, not variations on a theme.
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoffha, thats the one I was looking at for the Gibbons. I think I will go for the Scotts catalog.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1630 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At the price offered, the Gibbons catalogs appear to be a ripoff pirate version. Unclear to me if Gibbons even had an electronic version or one that was not download-only in 2014.

If you expect to communicate with dealers and collectors in the US, Scott is the one to use. I would make sure these are shipped in a box instead of a bundle of bags as each catalog is pretty heavy and can break through the flimsy bags used for shipping books.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The seller has an interesting story, as below. He claims the bookmarking allows you to find what you need but I think he means you have to create your own bookmarks. This assumes that Gibbons did not publish a legit PDF version of the Commonwealth Simplified. I don't believe they did but I could be wrong. Personally I think the seller's story speaks for itself.

I bought these discs myself for 24.99 from eBay a few weeks back and iv not seen another one since so they must hard to get hold off
The problem is my eyes really cant take looking at a bright screen for long periods of time anymore
my glasses are thicker then the flat screen im looking at so im just looking to recoup some of the money I spent out
Please believe me, this really is a special set of SG digital catalogues for the price im asking,

Free UK Postage
International Postage 3.99

I have tested and used these disc's over the last few days
i have tested every single file and they work perfect

THERE ARE NO RETURNS ON THESE SOFTWARE DVD'S, ONCE YOU PAY ITS YOURS
SOME PEOPLE DO TRY JUST TO COPY SOFTWARE AND SEND IT BACK AND THATS NOT FAIR
NO RETURNS ON SOFTWARE IS AN eBay POLICY NOT MINE
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26719 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which would everyone recommend. I am in Southern California if it is worth anything.

Just a personal preference.
I would not go beyond Scott, it is my personal route to Philatelic enjoyment.
I consider I wasted 6 years using Gibbons.
That said, I do have Gibbons with slightly older catalogues, they are invaluable for early commonwealth varieties unlisted by Scott.

Scott offers beautiful, easily read font, nice layout, (I prefer the AIR and "back of book" listed as Scott separate headings, other collectors detest this) I can, and do, order yearly updates of my counties of choice, ( a fellow rips up Scott Catalogues and sells dedicated countries)
I can Buy Turkey updates for about $10

Scott is also easily followed via the "Steiner" Album pages.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the paper (whiter less glossy so text has better contrast), information presentation, and printing of SG over Scott. I have a SG Concise and 1840-1970.

However for worldwide, the Scott meets my needs for general coverage for the periods 1900 to 1980.
Al
Edited by angore - 06/13/2019 06:34 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05