Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage Stamp Still Valid With Stain?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

66 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a sheet of American Dolls stamps (see attached photo) where two of the stamps have some sort of a stain on them. I read the Customer Support Ruling in the link below, but it only makes mention of defacing, which is kind of nebulous because when most people think of defacing, they think of people writing, drawing, or putting a rubber stamp on something.

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/ps-281.htm

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6259 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should absolutely be no problem

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
319 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the interpretation of the USPS's Domestic Mail Manual P002 2.2, which specifies that

Quote:
d. U.S. stamps that are mutilated or defaced; cut from stamped envelopes, aerogrammes, or stamped cards; covered or coated in such a manner that canceling or defacing marks cannot be printed onto the stamps; or overprinted with an unauthorized design, message, or other marking

are invalid for postage. Whether or not a stained stamp is "defaced" or bears an "unauthorized marking" is the question.

It will probably pass through the mail just fine -- envelopes can pick up all kinds of weird stains in the mail so the postal workers will most likely give you the benefit of the doubt -- but defaced stamps in general are not valid US postage.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
596 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torin, looks like a mint sheet to me. Those two stamps dont look stained but apparently got rubbed by an object, removing some of the ink color probably when pulled out from under something.
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you may be over-thinking this. The stamps on mail are not individually inspected most of the time. If it's an unused stamp, it should be fine. I assume you're only asking because you want to use these stamps to mail something, so why not use them and see what happens? I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't work just fine.
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with codehappy,
"envelopes can pick up all kinds of weird stains in the mail".
Valued Member
66 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1philatelist: I think what you wrote may have happened. I wish the USPS Manual was more specific relative to the meaning of "defaced" or unauthorized marking."
Edited by Torin - 06/13/2019 10:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
596 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure the majority of us would agree that the usual understanding of "defaced" would be cancelled with a postal cancelling device or struck through with a pen or marker as you indicated in your first post. As far as small stains, as I previously stated; I do not believe that is what they are.

As for unauthorised marking, they are fine. I would suggest not to write anything on them, stamp them with a rubber stamp or hammer or put any type of mark on them, and they should be fine to use as postage as others suggest.
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/13/2019 11:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the quote by code it says this.

Quote:
covered or coated in such a manner that canceling or defacing marks cannot be printed onto the stamps

Well it looks to me that there should be no problem for the usps to cancel them so they are good to use.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05