Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Stolen During Appraisal - Be Wary

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27211 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
Something doesn't ring true here, an collection appraisal over, he takes one stamp and says he will throw it away.?
I would have expected the person to yell or make some sort of commotion,
I guess he and her would have been alone in the office?

After he takes one stamp, how does she then accurately describe it?

I have experienced both sides of human nature, just Wednesday, I drove up to the City, on the way back I stopped to help a fellow jump start his Mercedes (bragging rights for my Ford), then 200Km further on, I stopped to help a fellow that ran out of gas, I drove to the nearest town, filled up his jerry can with diesel ($30) and drove back, He had no cash on him, I just said "drop the money into PO Box 47, if you are passing"

There is was the very next day !

Then I have been at Stamp shows twice where thefts occurred, one was a stamp club member whom hid a rare stamp down his sock, caught on the premises.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   10:55 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me this whole thing has the feel of something contrived to extort money. By someone who really doesn't know anything about stamps and their values.
Learn More...
7309 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   02:33 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To me this whole thing has the feel of something contrived to extort money. By someone who really doesn't know anything about stamps and their values.

This speculative scenario also makes the Library look bad since they would have then fired someone based upon a false accusation.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if this would be reported in Linn's Stamp News with more information. I doubt it.
Al
Edited by angore - 06/14/2019 06:51 am
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I first read it I doubted the stamp was worth anything. I don't know if the story is completely accurate since it's only based on the woman's side of the story. However, since the man hasn't showed up to refute it and he was "fired" we can only assume something shady happened.

I do think it's always a good idea to have a record of what you own and make sure to do your own research before handing over your valuables to someone else.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
36 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Besides the original story, I have not seen any follow-up in the media. Was there any?

The whole story seemed suspicious to me as well.
Pillar Of The Community
648 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know whether or not the library firing their volunteer makes any sense, and it may very well make sense if he did and said what he's accused of. But the story makes no sense in the first place.

An 80-year old George Washington stamp means it was from about 1940 or so. What stamp from that era with Washington on it is worth more than a few dollars? None. Zero.

My guess is the nice older lady had a collection which had been in her family for awhile and which she was told was worth some money. Anyone heard of that happening before? It's one of the most common stories in stamp collecting.

And in this collection there was an "old" stamp she believed was worth a lot of money. Perhaps Grandad or her uncle claimed it was "rare" the way collectors sometimes do to make their hobby look more like an investment than it was. It's not so rare. Collectors have been known to justify spending money on stamps. After all, when they're dead, what is anyone going to do about it? Non-collectors tend to believe this sort of thing because they don't know much about stamps, but they've heard some are rare. And everyone wants to believe there are rare things in their family.

Now, after visiting the library, she no longer has that "rare" stamp. Could she have made up this story out of a sense of personal embarassment? Out of anger at being told the valuable collection wasn't valuable at all? I have no idea. But it sure seems bizarre that someone working for the library would simply remove one stamp from the collection and offer to "throw it away" for her. I don't believe that makes any sense at all.

Keeping the collection to appraise it and returning it with a rare stamp missing might make sense. But this story makes no sense at all. It's not what a person would do. No one takes something claimed as rare and offers to throw it away. And then gives back the rest of the collection. In short, it's a badly made-up story that wasn't thought through very well. And someone got fired over it. Kind of sad.

Too bad they fired the guy without bothering to investigate what actually happened first. By the way, firing someone proves nothing. Organizations cover their butts all the time by doing exactly this -- even when the person fired is completely innocent. "Why sue us? Why we fired the guy so we're off the hook now!"

What I imagine happened was the employee looked at the collection, told the woman it was really not worth anything, and this surprised and upset her. After all, she'd always been told it was worth something. To her, this man must be wrong. Then she made up the story that "he took the one rare stamp and wouldn't give it back to me". Except people don't do that.

What people do is lie. They do that all the time even for innocent reasons like being upset that an old family collection of stamps you always believed was valuable actually isn't valuable at all. Also, why does a person with a "rare" stamp who manages to lose that very stamp not have a photograph or a photocopy or even a description of the rare stamp? Because there was no such stamp. That's why.
Edited by DrewM - 10/15/2019 12:10 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05