Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Stamp Dealers Advertising Always Philatelic Usage

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1073 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   08:15 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am going to ad some stamp dealers covers to my France collection and I was wondering if they are always considered philatelic usages or is it a case by case situation?

Thanks,

Ken
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2633 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   09:43 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The way I've understand it, if I cover was sent through the mail with intent to create a collectible it is a philatelic cover. It the cover was used just to send a price list or merchandise then probably no.

Basic definition from wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philatelic_cover
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Battlestamps - 06/14/2019 09:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   09:46 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And a lot of the "collectables" probably never went near a postbox - cancelled by favour and handed back across the counter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1073 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking about stamp dealers using showy and perhaps out of date stamps on their covers to customers. All the covers I'm looking at went thru the mail but I don't know if the usages are in period.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   11:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I suppose you and I use showy stamps when we send out eBay items - but they aren't "philatelic"!
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2067 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An example of a French stamp club Philatelic cover.The stamps are scarce.
If it was a dealers cover it would be the same thing I would say.

The Types of stamps used on the cover: close too their issued dates would be of importance I think.Plus the fact it really was sent through the post.

https://www.yvert.com/A-226249-n-8-...-cholet.aspx
Pillar Of The Community
United States
504 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if I cover was sent through the mail with intent to create a collectible it is a philatelic cover.

That includes almost every U.S. first day cover since the 1930's.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1073 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've put my bids in and if I win them I'll post a few pics here and we can discuss.

Thanks,

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
1003 Posts
Posted 06/14/2019   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone can define terms however they like, but to me and I think to most collectors stamp dealer covers are almost always philatelic. They typically use interesting stamps rather than the common definitive stamps that an ordinary piece of mail would have. They also typically are designed to be attractive, and often have nice cancellations. If a stamp dealer mailed his electric bill payment to the electric company or something like that then I would not call it philatelic, but when he or she mails things to clients then unless the stamp is a simple definitive of the day or a plain meter then I would call them philatelic. I would also call letters and packages that are sent by collectors to other collectors that use interesting or older stamps philatelic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1483 Posts
Posted 06/15/2019   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Per Kimo, I would also say it depends on definitions.

If you're concentrating on postal history, you're looking for proper postal rates. Maybe someone could excuse overpayment by a couple centimes but many collectors would not. As for stamp dealers, if they're sending a pricelist, it's going to probably be the printed matter rate; that fits collecting by postal rates. Orders sent by a dealer would vary depending on rate/weight and if registered or not.

If you mean mail addressed to stamp dealers from themselves, they are generally philatelic in that the stamps applied do not necessarily reflect a real rate. However, such covers might be some of the few choices available to you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1073 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   08:58 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think US Cover collectors may have to refine their definitions in the next few years because of discount postage. My wife uses older postage on all her personal mail and many packages because I give it to her and she doesn't have to buy it from the PO. There is nothing philatelic in her mailings but the stamps are often 30+ years old.

Do other countries have discount postage?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use old decimal mint stamps for all postage - our change to Bank of Toytown currency in 1971 means that older stamps can't be used, but that still leaves fifty years'-worth. Some countries that adopted the Euro - eg France - still allow use of older stamps at a set rate, although the calculation is fiddly. Most don't - which means the floor price for, say, pre-Euro German stamps is pretty low.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1073 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   10:32 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the US we can buy older postage at 50% of face value. So if I need to mail a 60c package the stamps only cost me 30c and a lot of people do this to save money.
Pillar Of The Community
1003 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the current "discount postage" situation should definitely be given a unique category all by itself but it is a relatively modern phenomenon. Most people use "forever" self stick stamps. Most seem to value their time and effort to buy discount postage and put together the correct combination of old stamps to make the current rate more than the convenience of using one forever stamp. And over time, using forever stamps that were purchased a few years ago gives a built in discount without any inconvenience. Perhaps there might eventually be sub-area of collecting for covers that have older "forever" stamps that originally cost less than the postal rate in effect at the time of mailing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3087 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use old postage and do not really care about making the exact rate. I have a blast with color and subject matter. Presidents with Elvis with Trucking Industry with.........
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1073 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   2:33 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife likes the 1992 Colombian S/S it makes impressive looking mail, but Kimo is right most people use Forever stamps. Maybe in the future our covers will be know as "philatelists" mail instead of philatelic?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05