Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Albumeasy V4.0 Just Released - Free Software For Creating Custom Stamp Album Pages

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 4,443Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
12 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I downloaded the Linux version and it works wonderfully. The initial UI looks duanting, but the help text and examples are so well written that the learning curve is actually quite minimal.

Thank you for writing and making available a wonderful piece of software such as AlbumEasy. And the Linux port is very much appreciated.

I, too, would echo the above feature request for a vertical alignment option. A blank PAGE_TEXT does work nicely. But an optional parameter on the PAGE_START command that calculates the amount of needed whitespace would make generating centered album pages much easier.

Overall, though, great job!!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clivel said,
Quote:
For examples of many of the new features please refer to the NewExamples.txt sample album which can be found in the examples directory.

I looked for an examples directory but I don't see it. Can you post a link to the examples?

Also, is there a way to attach a .pdf file to show examples of how someone uses AlbumEasy? Or do attachments have to be individual images?
Edited by banknoteguy - 08/02/2020 11:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Banknoteguy, here is how I use AlbumEasy. The sample was posted 8 years ago - a very early use of this great program: https://stamporama.com/discboard/di...n=20&id=6148

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txan,
It is always great to hear that someone is finding AlbumEasy useful, thanks for your kind comments.
I absolutely agree that some kind of vertical alignment would be useful, I like your idea of an option to calculate needed whitespace. Either way, it is definitely something that I would like to add to the program.
I am planning on a new release of AE in the next few weeks, unfortunately the vertical alignment option will probably have to wait until the following release as I will never get this version out the door if I don't stop adding features.

Petert4522,
Thanks for posting the link to your excellent PNC (plate number coil) pages, they look great and make a nice example of AlbumEasy at work.

banknoteguy,
When AlbumEasy was installed it should have created an AlbumEasy folder in your Documents folder. This should include an Examples folder containing about 12 example albums, including NewExamples.txt. Please let me know if you are still having trouble locating the folder, and if so, what platform you are using.

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I was looking on your website. I wasn't even close!
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses.

I tried attaching a .pdf file to my post but it did not work. So, I assume you can only attach images. Here is a link to a set of pages [.pdf file] I created with AlbumEasy:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S-...?usp=sharing

It is the set of unique designs/colors of high denomination U.S. stamps. I generally limited this set to denominations of $1.00 or more. But I included the 90 varieties from the 19th century. I intentionally am only including front of the book stamps. The technical data for the last few years is not necessarily accurate just my best guess until I can get access to a current year Scott specialized.

What I am looking for is a critique. How could I improve this set of pages? I know I have some consistency issues in technical data to fix but I generally like the layouts. I have a lot of stamps on a few pages. Should I break those up into multiple pages? Did I miss any design/colors that are $1 or more?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
402 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty nice job.

I did see a few errors, For example, on page 17, the value for the last PM Express stamp is $26.35, not $266.35

On page 8, your title line at the top is "1998 Trans Mississippi Centennial, but the stamps are Priority Mail and PM Express.

I personally prefer to keep large series issued over many years together by themselves. If you check the free album pages on the AlbumEasy site, you might want to download and examine my US albums for (1) USA Priority & Express Mail and (2)USA High Denominations. Those will give you some alternate ideas on how to format your pages. I also include full color images of each stamp inside the frame (see example below). If I want to save colored inks, I can always print in grey scale.

I assume you've set your frame sizes to accommodate whatever mounts or mounting process you intend to use. For example, my frames are set to use Scott/Prinz mounts plus a 2-3mm clear space around each.

Here's a sample page from my personal album. MINUS the actual stamps. The pages offered at AE do not include the Scott numbers due to copyright issues with Amos Publishing.

Edited by uboatnut - 08/02/2020 5:15 pm
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
uboatnut,

Thanks for taking a look and finding some errors! I like how you have spaced the Priority and Express issues. One question. Is the image you are putting in actual size of the stamps? If so, I also have some errors in the frame sizes for stamps after about 2016 as I have had trouble getting dimensions for recent stamps and I mostly don't have examples yet.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
402 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to re-check the Scott numbers for your Global Forever stamps, starting on page 15. Your 4760 should be 4740, and there are a few other errors as well.

The images I use are sized to be significantly smaller than actual size. This is adjustable within the AE software, which allows you to set the amount of vertical and horizontal space between your image and the frame lines. If the images are actual or only slightly smaller size (and printed in color), it can be hard to tell if there is an actual stamp or just the image in the frame. Printing in gray scale eliminates that. Besides, you don't want the image to be visible once the stamp is mounted.

Regarding frame sizing, download the .txt files for my album pages and just copy what you need. Every frame size I list has been vetted against actual stamps in my collection. On rare occasion, I have to make an educated estimate - also known as the "SWAG"" method (scientific wild-ass guess). Once I get the real stamp, I can correct the frame size, albeit might mean having to remount the other stamps on the page. All of my albums on AE have fully vetted frame sizes.

Alternatively, just email me the Scott #s for which you need frame sizes and I'll send them to you.

These pages from my personal collection have the actual stamps in their Scott mounts.

Edited by uboatnut - 08/02/2020 5:16 pm
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
uboatnut,

Thanks for finding even more of my issues. I fixed what you noted and several more problems I found -- updated/uploaded a new version of the .pdf file. Same link works but that brings up a different point.

My original message and your response reference an instance of a file that no longer exists. It would make more sense to be able to attach more than images to a post.

Anyone know why posting attachments are limited to images?

Edited by banknoteguy - 08/02/2020 7:18 pm
Valued Member
12 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Banknoteguy, here is how I use AlbumEasy. The sample was posted 8 years ago - a very early use of this great program: https://stamporama.com/discboard/di...n=20&id=6148

Peter

@Peter

Very nicely done ... I like your use of colored paper. May I ask what you used? Do you use other colors, as well?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txan, I use 67lbs Ivory paper - very similar to what Scott uses. Only color I use,

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
402 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I normally print pages on 65 pound white card stock. However, when I want pages similar to the Scott National pages, albeit 8 x 11 instead, I use the Mystic Blank Album Pages. The color is very close to the Scott page and the pages come with their own pre-printed border.
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   9:38 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
banknoteguy,
Your pages look great and I like the layouts, but it is, of course, all a matter of personal taste.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the stamps to be able to comment on the technical merits, but fortunately, uboatnut stepped in, and at the same time took the opportunity to show examples of some of his excellent pages.
Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1327 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   08:44 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shown below is my 1st effort with AlbumEasy (I love it);

I've accumulated France Precancels for a while but had to keep them on a stockpage until I found a Yvert-Teller album. I was happy to see pages for PreCancels as well as for Parcel Post. The problem is I'm heavily invested into the Scott Specialty format. The answer was AlbumEasy. I got up and running on AlbumEasy in less than an hour and was able to figure out the formatting for the Specialty pages with some effort. It took some effort to find a copy center that would print my pdf on the Scott Pages but my local Fedex Store was great. It took the guy about 15 minutes to set it up and then he charged me 19c/page so $1.22 for my 6 pages.

I built the precancel pages line by line but shown below is the 1st page from the Parcel Post section. I just copied this page and fiddled with the sizing and then used the insert image function to make the page. Note it's all in French and there is a shadow form the difference in page colors.

If anyone want my formatting info for the Scott page let me know I'd be happy to share.

Ken
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 4,443Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05