Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Albumeasy V4.0 Just Released - Free Software For Creating Custom Stamp Album Pages

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 4,710Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken - each to his own, but was it really worth abandoning an Yvert album, given the only difference in approach is the incorporation of charity stamps with other issues? Or was the Yvert album also superannuated?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1365 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   09:46 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been building my Scott Specialized France, French Colonies and Italy for 3 years and have $100s of mounts installed let alone stamps. I think the Yverts are excellent but I found it in a box of feeder albums I bought and it's not nearly as complete as my Scott. I may keep it and use it for color varieties. I have another Yvert that is nearly empty and I may sell that one.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One advantage of Scott in this regard is that its albums and style have remained pretty much unchanged. They may be dull and unresponsive to developments in design and collecting practice (those connected lines of stamps, for instance), but you can always use them. By contrast, Yvert has done a lot of fiddling with its products over the last thirty years, which means that you can find an album from the 1990s that you're comfortable with, but then have difficulties in using it.
Valued Member
Canada
241 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   11:56 am  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shown below is my 1st effort with AlbumEasy (I love it);

That page looks great KRelyea, thanks for showing it, and I am pleased that you like AlbumEasy :)

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1365 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for building AlbumEasy I have at least 100 pages planned and now I can get started on them. After I get a few more developed I'll make them available through your site.
Pillar Of The Community
842 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken, First of all, those are very nice layouts.

I'm also "heavily invested" in Scott Specialty pages/albums, and I've used much the same system to make up matching pages, meaning pages with Scott Specialty borders that match my existing pages. I've used page layouts from my Steiner files and printed them borderless (you don't want two borders on your pages) onto blank (but bordered) Specialty pages as you seem to be doing. I haven't tried it with AlbumEasy page layouts, though now I'm tempted to try. Of course, it's possible to print whatever layout you want to use onto whatever other paper you want to use with the only limit being the size of paper your printer can handle -- or the size your local copy shop machines can handle.

You apparently took pdf files to your copy shop, but I take actual printed (8.5 x 11") pages to mine. I print them at home after making whatever changes I want in the layouts -- removing the borders, changing the font of the country name, or deleting boxes of stamps I don't want. One small advantage of printing from actual pages is that I can adjust my "original" on the photocopy machine slightly up, down, or sideways to center it better if I need to. You can do that in your files, too, I imagine, but once they're saved and you're at the print shop, I'd guess you can no longer do that. I find it a big help when a page I've just printed is a little too far up, down, or sideways. A page layout or country name can go into the margin of the paper. Or sometimes the country name at the top is too low or too high. I just move the originals up or down slightly to compensate and reprint the page. I might waste a few pages, but I end up with about 95-98% of my pages printed properly. None of this may make sense to someone who doesn't print pages this way, but it's basically just "xeroxing" from printed (or digitized) originals, and we've all done that.

Now I want to try printing AlbumEasy pages and see how they compare in terms of ease of making them and the look of the resulting page layouts (which look to be very good indeed).

A couple of questions:

Ken: "I just copied this page and fiddled with the sizing and then used the insert image function to make the page. Note it's all in French and there is a shadow form the difference in page colors."
What is "insert image function" and how do you use it? Is this just a "copy-paste" function? In Word? In AlbumEasy? The image is a layout you've designed or a layout from existing pages?

"If anyone want my formatting info for the Scott page let me know I'd be happy to share."
Yes, I'd love to have the formatting info for your pages if you can provide this. I can provide you an email address if that helps.

As for the "shadow" you're getting, I don't know of a digital way to eliminate it, so what I do is on the photocopy machine. I just move the "contrast" adjustment down one or two steps which eliminates most of the problem. The result is I don't see much, or any, of the "shadow". I do end up with a less darkly printed page, but it seems generally decent enough.

Cheers!
Drew M
Edited by DrewM - 10/27/2020 5:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
uboatnut,

I like the way you group your stamps. That's what is nice about printing your own pages. Very nice.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
412 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack:

That's what's nice about AlbumEasy - you can put things where YOU want them, rather than where some other album designer put them. You can also add whatever descriptive information you want. AE is definitely worth investing the time in the learning curve.

I did work out the AE settings for printing on Scott album pages based on B4 page sizes (very limited default sizes available on non-commercial wide format printers). Basically, I feed the printer Scott pages, but set the printer for B4 and trick it. Alas, I don't have a WF printer. Maybe Santa has a spare he can leave here.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1365 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   11:30 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew AlbumEasy has a function to add an image to a page. You could illustrate a stamp box or add an image to illustrate a detail. I cheated a little and made the image so it took up the whole page.

As an interim step I made a frame the same size as the frame on the Specialized pages but on 8 1/2" X 11" paper. I used this to orient the stamp boxes on the page and check the margins and when I was ready I changed the margins and page size and the pdf printed pretty well just a little high. As you said I couldn't change it at the copy store.

I thought I had your email from previous conversations but I don't so I'll try and send you the formatting info via the SCF message system.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 4,710Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05