Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unhappy With Mystic Stamp Company

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People view things thru their own filters and interpret the way they want to read things. Rogdcam, if you, or anyone, approached the N.Y. Attorney General's Office with a complaint of "false advertising" against Mystic, the N.Y. Attorney General would quickly advise that your comprehension was wrong. "Special Pricing" applying to "A Wide Selection of Merchandise" is a common phrase used and accepted throughout the entire North American Retail Community, from Wal-Mart to Staples to the smallest retailer. The fact that an individual wishes it to apply to "every item" a retailer sells is viewing the world thru "rose colored glasses."

As for "reducing prices", they have a "brick'n'mortar" retail operation in Manhattan--they have an extremely high overhead. Their cost-of-doing-business is extremely high. They have rent, utilities, salaries, NYC business taxes, etc.,etc., to pay...or do you think all of that is free?? If you nothing for your rent/mortage, utilities, etc., please let me know where you live. I'd love to live and open a business where everything is FREE!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Hal - 06/17/2019 9:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
699 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal, I agree that different people interpret things differently. But it would be nice if the retailer was a bit more specific and factual upfront and state "Special pricing and or points may only be used on a selected range of merchandise and stamps." People would definately perceive it differently than they do at present. To use such a broad term as " a wide range of merchandise" is what is leading a persons thinking that a lot more material is covered.

Actually, I would rather a retailer give me the one or two cents off up front on what I am buying rather than points. Trying to get a customer to buy more material later, that he does not want or need in order to redeem the points, and items that are often inflated or overpriced for special offers is what causes difficulties with customers. In the end the retailer usually, and unfortunately loses the customer if they feel differently.
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/17/2019 10:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1303 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mystic is in Camden, NY in Oneida County, not Manhattan. You're thinking of Champion Stamp Co. in Manhattan, a different firm.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks cjpalermo1964 - you're right and I was thinking of Champion...and No1 Philatelist, you're absolutely correct!

Unfortunately, people are people and right or wrong and the adage "the customer is always right" is truer today than ever before. In the end, the retailer DOES lose a customer and a pissed-off customer normally complains to 10-people or more people about his complaint. In today's world of the internet, Facebook, Twitter and social media an unresolved complaint can be lethal to a business if ignored.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3502 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal - Nobody is talking about false advertising. I am talking about misleading advertising. Also, their operating costs have zero to do with the topic at hand. As far as my living where everything is free well my friend try constructing and developing real estate in Boston. And by the way, Mystic's prices are ridiculously high for average material. Their local labor force makes minimum wage and receives virtually no benefits but the few at the top have to feather their nests and their building is nice although who knows if it is if it is leased, owned, rented, built with incentive money etc.. but all of this is way, way, way off topic. The language could be much clearer. Clear?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam - As for "pricing", I was responding to Angore's comments , which you didn't read.

MISLEAD: Verb:
cause (someone) to have a wrong idea or impression about someone or something.
"the government misled the public about the road's environmental impact"
synonyms: deceive, delude, take in, lie to, fool, hoodwink, lead astray, throw off the scent, send on a wild goose chase, put on the wrong track, pull the wool over someone's eyes, pull someone's leg, misguide, misdirect, misinform, give wrong information to;

Mystic's advertising is specific; it didn't lie - it was a specific offer. You and others chose to misunderstand it. Again - comprehension.

rogdcam - You seem to complain about everything Mystic does. If it were me, I wouldn't buy from them. OH, that's right, I don't buy from Mystic...I think their prices ARE ridiculous.
Edited by Hal - 06/19/2019 8:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they have a "brick'n'mortar" retail operation in Manhattan

They were located in Camden, NY the last time that I dealt with them.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reward points are a marketing gimmick to keep customers coming back which apparently works since a lot of companies use them. The customers would be better off with lower prices and no points.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BILLRESH I agree with you, however like "Reward Points" Retailers have even a better gimmick to take and keep your hard earned money..."Gift Cards." When I see someone offering "Reward Points" I run the other way. And here's why...

There is no such thing as a "Free Lunch"! The cost of each "Reward Point" is "baked" into the front-end of the retail offer and anyone thinking otherwise needs to see P.T. Barnum's infamous exhibit, "The Egress." A "Reward Point", "Gift Card", "Green Stamp"... it's all added profit to a Merchant that falls directly into their bottomline. PLUS, a high percentage (over 1/3)of of all Points go unredeemed -- so the Retailer makes even more, especially when Points Expire.

According to AD AGE $100 BILLION dollars in Loyalty (Reward) Points went unredeemed in the year 2017, compared to only $11 BILLION dollars in 2011 or an 89% increase! https://adage.com/article/75-years-...aimed/309183 So, if you think a smart Marketer is going to drop a "Rewards (Loyalty) Program" I'd say someone was not being realistic.

Tell a Retailer to drop a "Reward Program" in lieu of attracting more customers and 9 out of 10 will just chuckle, unless the program they established is too hard to manage. The Retailer's Logic is "for the few customers I'd gain, the amount of sales I'd have to make to offset the lost profit isn't worth it...I'd prefer making the profit and higher margin."

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3502 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05