Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have Inherited Some Stamps And Have No Idea Where To Start - Please Help!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Burton906 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, about a year ago I inherited some stamps from my late grandfather who was an avid collector and as such has a substantial collection! I have no idea where to start in terms of organising them / selling them.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What state are they in, in terms of organisation? Are they in albums? In packets? How much money did he spend on them?

Generally some sample images will be needed, or we don't know what we're dealing with.

A word of caution - most stamps are worth very little, but if you can provide more details/photos, others will advise.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Ringo - 06/16/2019 12:49 pm
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Burton906 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, thanks for replying. I will also add some close up of some stamps but really just wanted to show the range and variety of stamps I have. After some research I think many of them are first day issues but would really appreciate some advice on what to do next. Most if not all stamps are in very good condition.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. Thanks for uploading.

In general, first day covers are not high in desirability, and therefore not high in value. Depends what they are though. (First day covers are envelopes, usually with a printed design, with the relevant stamps affixed and cancelled with something which says (usually) 'first day of issue' or words to that effect.)

The stamp album you pictured at the top is a fairly basic beginner album and the stamps shown are very ordinary. Not much monetary value, it seems.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Burton906 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Heres some close ups of some stamps/
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More of the same - common stamps with little market value, but great things to have. The two Portugal stamps I don't recognise, and they look nice. The fact that they are in a basic worldwide album indicates they aren't worth anything to speak of. But I expect they have sentimental value, and I would recommend keeping the album and maybe looking into the stamps - it's a rewarding passtime.
Pillar Of The Community
France
541 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two portuguese stamps are part of the "Marquès de Pombal" omnibus set (1925) which includes issues for Angola,Azores,Cabo Verde,Continente (i.e. Continental Portugal),Guinea,India,Macau,Madeira,Mozambique,Sao Tome e Principe and Timor.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05