Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can You Match That Vignette?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of my many obscure collections is vignette and portrait proofs from various bank note companies and the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. Most of these were produced for use on currency, stocks, and bonds, but there are also some that ended up on revenues. I thought it might be fun to toss a few out there and see any anyone can identify the stamps these appear on...

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 06/16/2019 7:58 pm

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm near my collection to compare but it strikes me that the middle vignette of the three masted ship appears on one of the 3cent violet stamps from the 1940's and the lower vignette might be on the 2 cent trans Mississippi. I actually do not recall this particular image of Sherman appearing on a regular issue. Does it appear on a revenue?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I switched out the last vignette because I realized I had posted the harvesting scene in another thread already. All of these appear on revenues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1466 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done, Jim! The last vignette shows up on more than one stamp.
Edited by GregAlex - 06/17/2019 4:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The BEP managed to crop two vignettes out of one from "Marine View" -- the tall sailing ship appears on TF18 and the sidewheeler shows up on TF17.

Okay, a few more...

Edited by GregAlex - 06/19/2019 02:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1466 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
738 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to send my matching item to your Sherman proof, but then I realized mine is a different version:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like that Sherman portrait, Southpaw - he looks scruffier than the Continental BNC version.

Jim is a little too good at this game. Here are some others...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1466 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bravo! I wasn't sure you'd get the locomotive scene. Can anyone figure out Washington?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 06/22/2019   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's back the chuck wagon up a bit.

Here's an essay for what would eventually become Scott 571:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, they really shrunk her down for that one!

Washington appears on TF56 (and I'm pretty sure I've seen him elsewhere) and our sailor also shows up on TF85.

Anyone else want to give us a vignette or portrait to match?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm enjoying this, so I'll toss out a few more.

Edited by GregAlex - 06/26/2019 4:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
847 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's "Eagle on Nest" on a Wholesale Liquor Dealer special tax stamp.

Nothing on the other two?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1466 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jim
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05