Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Low Opening Bid Stamp Lots On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

72 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What have been your experiences in winning auctions where you were the only bidder on a stamp collection or lot that ends up selling for 10% of its value?

I am hesitant to bid on these listings because I have a feeling the seller might be disappointed his/her $50 stamp lot sold for the $4.99 opening bid plus a few dollars in shipping and either cancel the sale or not ship the item.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1148 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have won auctions like that, but it seldom happens--items that are not overpriced to begin with tend to find their proper level. I've never had a seller cancel under those circumstances. I say do not hesitate--what do you have to lose?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
72 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well after reading this thread, one has to deal with hassle of having an order cancelled and the wait time for the charge to be refunded to your method of payment.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Biddi...d-p/28817668
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1481 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree; just bid. Keep in mind that out-and-out forgeries, revenue cancelled stamps and very faulty stamps are often not worth even 10% of catalog.

I am often surprised at how cheaply some small lots and collections that I won have gone for. It has been very rare that I have been the only bidder; therefore I beat out a couple of cheapskates or bottom feeders on what turned out to be respectable lots. I am wondering if people in general don't trust sellers and also might not have the disposable income available these days and bid very low, at least for stamps. This is even with no potential forgeries and with some faulty always anticipated.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   01:31 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only auction material. Sometimes the results are disappointing, but my view is that I've sold the lot, rather than having it sit there for eternity as a BIN. There's no need to look for dishonesty everywhere - life will become rather distressing.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
244 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've not had a problem winning those type of lots that I can recall.

I've seen several instances of obvious shill bidding over the years though.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BKing to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bid on a stamp once that was not rare or expensive, but perhaps worth $5. The auction started at 1 with free shipping. I was the only bidder, so I bought the stamp for a penny. The seller sent me an e-mail requesting that I: "...hurry up and send the penny, so I can be done with auctions on e-Bay." I always felt bad about that auction, like I stole the stamp - even though I know that I did nothing wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4256 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TORIN ------ 10% ??? Why do I keep paying over 100% for stamps at major public stamp auctions . Try buying blocks of 4 of early Egypt and you will be making world record prices .

The point I am making goes back to your original posting ,you said "10% of its value " Sorry your paying it's real value not 10% . There are tons of stamps I can buy everyday and sell them on eBay at 10% [OF THEIR VALUE] and make a profit .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05