Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Much To Mail A Letter From Canada To The Us?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
493 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modernstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm mailing to someone in Canada, and I need to know how much I need to put on a return envelope back to me from Canada with Canadian stamps.

I know I need $1.15 in US postage to go to Canada, but I don't know how much I need in Canadian Postage for the small regular letter sized envelope coming back. The envelope will be under an ounce.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
678 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
30 grams to the U.S. from Canada will cost $1.27 cdn. Face value + gst or hst depending on province it is mailed from. Go to https://www.canadapost.ca
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/17/2019 10:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Post has a website with rates like most postal administrations:
https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/pe...e-rates.page?
30g is just over an ounce.

Don't believe their delivery times to the US; it may be a couple days more, because USPS.
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for the information and the links.
About the "+ gst or hst depending on province it is mailed".
Can you explain that please, I'm not up on Canadian laws.
Thanks Again!
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's always kind of bothered me that it costs so much more to mail a letter from, for example Detroit to Windsor, Ontario, or Point Roberts Washington to Tsawwassen, B.C. a distance which might be as little as a few hundred yards,(you could probably easily hit a golf ball from an address in one place to an address in the other place, just across the border) than from Maine to Hawaii, around 5,000 miles. And it becomes even more of a mystery when you consider that once it enters the mail stream, most of the handling falls to the Canadian Post Office to actually deliver the letter.
Edited by waddsbadds - 06/17/2019 11:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
678 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Modernstamp, The value of the stamp on the letter you wish to mail is $1.27 cdn. Since you are not buying the postage here in Canada you do not need to worry about it.

Depending on the province a Canadian lives in, they are charged a tax on the purchase of the postage stamp itself. Some provinces charge only the 5% Federal Goods and Services tax while others will charge you the Harmonized Sales Tax. That HST is a combination of the federal 5% + the amount of Provincial Sales Tax on top of it.

Here in Nova Scotia that adds another 15% on top of the price of the stamp. The interesting irony of the whole thing is that if the cost of the postage you need to put on a U.S. destination package exceeds $5.00 than you are exempt from paying any tax. Go figure?
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/17/2019 11:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information No1philatelist.
Very interesting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05