Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Very, Very New Beginner To This.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JNB90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, inherited a few stamp albums and have decided to try cataloguing them (an arduous mistake). Was hoping someone could have a quick glance over my work to see if I'm along the right tracks (I've started with the US stamps as they seemed to have the most internet presence).

Finally, I've a mountain of stamps in boxes too, poking through them I came across this stamp which caught my eye, anyone any idea where it's from, I don't know where to start with it.

Thanks in advance, any other tips on identifying other countries' stamps appreciated too.

JNB
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you are doing great. Just glancing over what you have done you seem ot have the hang of it. It is hard to tell for sure, as some need to be checked for watermarks and/or perforation gauge. And I can't do that from these photos. Others, Like the Scott #10 might be Scott #11, but the color difference is hard to tell from a screen image.

You identified one as a Scott #94. I cna't tell if it has a grill, but it might also be a Scott #65.

What are you using as a reference guide?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Netherlands
14 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erikschaper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last stamp looks like one from Turkey / Ottoman period. But I can be mistaken...
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JNB90 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, not sure why, but it sneaked onto that page.

In regards to referencing, I've literally been trying to find identifiable items; cost, who is on it, colour, stamp date if it's on it, and searching through the internet to try to match them up, probably why it's taking me so long. Thanks for the help!
Learn More...
7061 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Don
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck on your project, JNB90, looks like you have your work cut out for you. There might be a few fairly valuable ones on that second page of US stamps, although they might not be in great condition. Further hampering your attempt to catalogue them is the haphazard way they're put together, with little regard for type (regular postage stamps, airmails, revenues, envelope cut squares, postage dues all mixed together), date of issue, and in some cases even country of origin: the 2 lire magenta stamp in the second row is from San Marino, and on the bottom row is a Belgian stamp(last one on the left) and one from the Kingdom of Hawaii. But hang in there!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26701 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I came across this stamp which caught my eye, anyone any idea where it's from

You have posted the stamp upside down.

I'd suggest Eric is correct, an Ottoman revenue stamp.
Receipts and Acquittances
Perforate 13.25 Unwatermarked
Tughra of Sultan Abdul Hamid ll
McDonald catalogue possibly #5 (10 paras) Black on dull orange, or black on Pale orange
Value : 50c
Edited by rod222 - 06/19/2019 9:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For us material:

You can get a free Mystic catalog that will give you the basics, and not confuse you with super rare stamps that you unlikely ever see in your lifetime.You can order it here:

https://www.mysticstamp.com/shop/?m...Pg&gclsrc=ds

The main source of information is Scott Specialized Catalogue Of United States Stamps And Covers

https://www.amosadvantage.com/produ...s-and-covers

It's expensive, and comes out every year. Older editions are still very usable.

Here are a couple of sites that will give you reliable information about identifying stamps:

http://stampsmarter.com/

http://www.theswedishtiger.com/unit...ps-menu.html

and you can always post specific questions to this site.

Enjoy

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
423 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's expensive, and comes out every year. Older editions are still very usable.

In particular, you can get a four or five year old copy for less than $50 from eBay or Amazon, only a third or fourth of the retail price for a brand new edition. There isn't a lot that changes from year to year.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05