Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Key Auction Buyers And Their Ebay Selling Names

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2450 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a list of the key collection buyers at auctions and their corresponding eBay names?

We know nystamps, edw1949sell, etc. but some do not disclose their formal business name. I know pavstamps since he posts here.

For example, kenr and outhouseauctions?
Send note to Staff
Al
Edited by angore - 06/21/2019 06:52 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4343 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My comments here are about 15 to 25 years ago . Back then we all knew each other and got to understand who was buying what . We would spend days together looking at material for hours and sit together for lunch. It was a regular group who meet up on a regular basis . At night the collection buyers would hook up with other auction bidders and all would head out for supper and then talk and drink the night away .

This group would have different people who would join in and some you got to know year after year .There was Vince from Sandfrayre ,Dr. Bob ,Jimmy from N.Y.Stamps ,Bob from Great Britain ,Regency and Appelfbaum and a few others .

Today with on line bidding and hidden I.D.'s ,it is harder to identify who is behind the bidding also some now have more than one bidding number which makes it more difficult to know.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   7:13 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angora I sell as kenr2, we've talked about pavstamps but I don't think he's a member of our community.

floortrader is right the Internet and eBay have made buyng and selling much more anonymous. Don has mentioned many time the number of active stamp collectors is becoming more difficult to determine as collectors leave traditional organizations and purchase venues and buy online.

It works the other way too. I suspect I have a few customers from this community but I am only sure of 3. If a person doesn't identify himself or have an eBay id similar to their SCF id I just don't know. For all I know rodgcam is my best customer and he only picks on eBay to keep prices low

A few months ago I tried to make a list of eBay sellers that had sales equal or higher than mine. I got to 50 sellers and I gave up because I had to go through each category to find more sellers and it because overwhelming. I think there are a lot of medium size sellers on eBay but if they don't sell your material you just wouldn't know about
them.

Dealers that attend Stamp Shows all know each other but us eBay dealers are hard to identify.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3251 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You found me out!!!
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh baby do you know what that's worth...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4343 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was a different world back in the 1980's and 1990's , all the major stamp auction buyers knew each other over the years . Around Chicago we knew who the collectors were and who the dealers were .

As a collector I wasn't going to bid or run up the price on lots that dealers wanted ,it was illegal to talk bidding prices but these were the guys who had tables at shows or bourses that I would see on the weekends all year . I didn't need to step on them to build my collection . Nothing was agreed on verbally but if they wanted a lot ,I and others would just bid on something else .

Then eBay started and that brought in a lot of outside people who were there and the fighting began over lots . As a collector my pricing of lots had a whole different view point than these resellers .A few words were exchanged and one or two buyers had to pay up and bleed to take lots away from me . Then N.Y.Stamps came in and that was a vacum cleaner for large lots ,nobody could match his bidding .
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just tell him to wait until after the auction. If no one bids, then you'll be free to entertain his question. You can't take an auction down early once the first bid is made. If tehre are no bids, you can, but it's frowned upon.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05