Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crypto Stamp - A Postage Stamp Revolution

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is as if the USPS issued on purpose a new priority express stamp in 5 different colors with only 1500 stamps in one of the colors and only a few thousand in the other 4 colors. It creates instant rarities. They actually did something similar by issuing 100 sheets of uninverted $2 Jennys.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by billresh - 07/10/2019 4:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I misunderstand the entire premise here, but.. it would seem to me that in order for any issue of stamps to become desirable and a good investment, then there has to be widespread interest in the world collector community. Thus far I am not seeing that, other than in the few statements of enthusiasm being made by people already owning them.

This whole thing reminds me of the 'Face on Mars' stamps and sheets that a so called investment guru had produced by some tinpot country and then tried to hype up. As usual, the people who bought them early on and then sold them were the winners. A lot of people who got in early lost a ton of money. I'm not even sure if those stamps are currently to be found in the Scott catalog.
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has Farley returned?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not even sure if those stamps are currently to be found in the Scott catalog.

Yes they are, Sierra Leone Scott 1167-1172. I purchased the whole set for less than $25 a few years ago. A far cry from the $5,000+ people were asking in 1990.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
939 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   02:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then Thousand dollars to mail a letter... Who do they think they are? The Post Office?
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At first I thought it would be a Superman stamp!
Then, what with Holograph I thought you could slap it on the envelope and a very pretty lady would pop up saying, "Help me Obe one Kenobe
you are my only hope." I am so disappointed.

Valued Member
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
122 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The_Pope to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This are the official austrian post stamps, not some wild issue and should be in all philatelistic catalogues. The idea is great and crypto is the future. One of the best things happened to philately in general are crypto stamps issued by austrian post.
Learn More...
6785 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   07:41 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a technologist, I agree that crypto currency is the future but I do not agreed that crypto stamps are the future. Postal mail is well along evolving to email which is instant and virtually free of cost. I do not see any innovation in applying 'crypto' to something that is clearly in decline.

But putting that aside, I still do not see the point. Cryptocurrency has a number of well documented advantages over traditional currencies. World-wide universal acceptance, lower cost (lower transaction and bank exchange fees), better security features, a 'digital ledger' transaction history, and decentralization (currency is managed by a network and not a single entity). These advantages are a type of globalization, removing the dependency of a currency upon a single issuing country. So for a crypto stamp to be the same thing it would be a global stamp that would be good for use in any country in the world. Every country would lose the its income in producing their own stamps. Who becomes the issuing entity of a worldwide crypto stamp (certainly not a single country). Unlike commerce, where sellers are typically free to accept any type currency they want, postal systems are tightly controlled by governments. So why would a country want to give up profitable stamps for a universal stamp?

I am not seeing any benefit in a country simply replacing a traditional stamp with a crypto stamp. If someone can list the benefits or innovation in crypto stamps please list them for the rest of us to understand.

And as far as being 'good' for philately, I also am failing to see how this could be true. In what ways?

The truth is that our hobby is rooted in nationalism. Folks who are globalists support things like a universal cryptocurrency but the stamps and postal history we collect reflects nationalism in almost every way. If all country currencies went away and everyone in the world used Bitcoin or Libras, would the coin collecting hobby benefit or suffer?

Don
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05