Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pre-1940 Plate Blocks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,
Do pre-1940 plate blocks appraise higher than 4 stamps of the same condition as one from the plate (same condition and centering)? I have several plate blocks for which I would like to estimate their value. Should I just estimate their value as 4 new stamp or should they be sent for grading?

Thanks,
Chris
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
6762 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   08:19 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
If you post some images the folks here will offer more opinions.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Don. I will do so this afternoon.

Chris
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are six of the most recent (pre-1940) plate blocks I have. I have many more. "Do the numbered plate blocks carry a premium over the individual stamps?" Many of my plate blocks have less than ideal centering.
Also, If I have an edge block of 4 stamps with no sheet number, is there a premium on the block?
Thanks,
Chris

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6302 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ccrider, there is a catalog for these things, the Durland Standard Plate Number Catalog. Since all you need is the older blocks you do not need a new catalog. An older one can be found

Peter
Learn More...
6762 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plate blocks are typically worth more than just a block of four or mint single stamps. And condition/centering also matters, stamps with really great centering and in perfect condition are more sought after than those which are not. Additionally for plate blocks the condition of the perforations also matter; 'perf separations' or should those blocks which have been previously folded are worth less. Also note that some plate block numbers are less common than others; in fact some numbers are quite rare.

The plate blocks shown above are all relatively common and do not command much in the marketplace. For example, the last one recently sold on eBay for less than 50 cents.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-838-IOW...333197897599

If possible, post some images of the oldest plate blocks you have, these are likely to be the most valuable.
Don
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tips, Don. So far the oldest one I have come across is SC#702. I have more to check yet.

Thanks
Chris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to be a Gloomy Gus, but I regularly see all the PBs posted above at shows in face value boxes. You just don't see much demand for the common 3 blocks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3544 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No grading!
Valued Member
144 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I hate to be a Gloomy Gus, but I regularly see all the PBs posted above at shows in face value boxes. You just don't see much demand for the common 3 blocks."

That's pretty gloomy. To find these plates in collectible condition(don't have weak and/or separated perfs and well centered) at face is a very good bargain. Frankly, I don't see that at shows.

The late 40's and 50's 3 cent plates are a different story.

Bob
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05