Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Re: Using Ebay And Other Sites To Return Excess Material Into New Colector's Hands.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hoosierboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Morning all,

It has been several years since I seriously looked at listing material sale on eBay or other sites for that matter. I would appreciate it if you could share your current experiences with the various sites.

Over the last half century (yep, scary thought in itself) I have accumulated more material that I currently have interest in or need for. The problem is most of it falls into the "time does not permit" category as far as what a dealer wants to mess with today. My preference is to place it in the hands of younger than I folks newer than me to the hobby. Using the internet should give my material its best exposure to my target audience.

Current plan is to list some of the better items individually with lessor material as a group of similar material. Planning on making auction listings with just enough opening bid to cover my time and costs. If I get more that it would help cover some of my cost in the item(s) but my intention is to redistribute the material into the collecting community more than financial gain.

What is your current experience buying or selling this level of material in the digital market place?

Best regards, Russ

Send note to Staff
Edited by hoosierboy - 06/24/2019 10:03 am

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4134 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   10:48 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been trying to work through the backlog too. When I buy a new country lot, I try to get the duplicates on eBay as soon as possible - this typically means 100-200 different stamps, usually with some better among them. With the older stuff from stock-books, I try to do country lots of around 1,000-1,500, with duplication - basically what I can stick onto a dozen stock-pages for the twelve free pictures on eBay. I only do auctions, and start low, particularly for the bulk stuff. Pretty much everything goes first time, providing a bit of cash to put towards new purchases and clearing the mess from various rooms in the process. Sets of album pages with stamps tend to do quite well. For FDCs, I put together lots of around 100, working in the basis of 10p per cover. I sell things abroad - and not doing so would be quite damaging to the bidding. Good luck - it's satisfying seeing those mountains of old paper vanish!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For auctions of lower-value material, eBay is the best choice. Very limited auction action on Hipstamp and Delcampe.
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   1:46 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
However, HipStamp is your best bet for low value items as eBay fees make them a no-win situation. A basic store on HS costs $5 per month, and you can load in more material than most people own for just that monthly fee (with final value fees on the other end, of course). If nothing else, HS is useful for keeping your unsold eBay over-flow constantly available for sale.

That said, month over month, sales on HS are picking up and soon will catch up to if not pass my eBay sales.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should mention I am a huge fan of Hipstamp and just passed 3,000 feedbacks as a buyer, significantly more than my 2,600-odd feedbacks on eBay. The OP mentioned auctions with low opening bids as his planned strategy. I would estimate about 20% of philatelic lots on eBay are offered as auctions, while on Hipstamp I think no more than 1-3% of lots are offered as auctions. And there don't seem to be many bids on most auctions. Thus my previous comment.

That said, I agree that the financials of Hipstamp make more sense for the seller who want to sell "retail."

Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   5:04 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on sales volume. Commissions on hipstamp are higher than on eBay and you'll still pay paypal fees most of the time. If you can stay within the limits of the free or starter eBay stores, you get a much larger audience at a comparable price. I have stores both places and I'm lucky if I have more than 2-3 hipstamp transactions a month, though one of the transactions I recently had was quite large (30 items).

Material can sell at any price point on eBay; I've sold from $1 (which I try to avoid) up to over $6,000. Group lots can be a pain. Generally they have to be priced cheaply, and they are much more work to photograph, writeup and ship. But it may be the only way to move some things....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paperhistory I stand corrected re: the fees comparison.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
535 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   05:06 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you truly want to move your items eBay is the way to go. Much more traffic and as you stated a much higher percentage of the listings are auctions.

Start the lots at a minimal price, a few good scans, reasonable shipping fees and let the market determine the value. Some will sell too cheap,some will sell too high, it will all average out. Just keep your mission in mind, to reduce and get rid of unwanted material.

You can list at least 50 free auctions (no listing fee) per month and eBay regularly offers larger opportunities (200 or more free listings). Take advantage of these by using the scheduled listing function so you are ready to go when they are offered.

In no time you will build a group of repeat buyers. If you are not selling 90% of your offerings at first listing re-evaluate what you are offering. Reduce the starting price or increase the size of the lots.

If it becomes more work than pleasure, find another way to dispose of them.

GOOD LUCK!

Valued Member
Ecuador
144 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   05:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another way, it would be to offer the material for free.

making games, or contests, or just first come first served.
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for your comments and observations. Most of my material will be covers. I get the impression HipStamp is more for stamps than covers? Also, what percentage of the fixed price items you list sell on each site?

As far as cost of doing business goes what is the minimum opening bid you think is needed to cover site fees and postage? And then there is the value of your time needed to list and process the sale. I cannot believe some folks put lots out starting at $.01 with free shipping but they do.

Best regards, Russ

Edited by hoosierboy - 06/28/2019 1:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4134 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't even look at fixed price sales of collectables, which are routinely over-priced, so I can't comment on that. I shouldn't offer free postage. My experience in switching from free to at-cost was that items seemed to continue to sell just as well. And, if you're a stamp collector, you'll probably have old mint stamps to get rid of, which will help financially, I'll start some stuff at 99p to get it going, but usually 1.99.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
227 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My advice would be to get started without asking too many questions.

Selling successfully on eBay is something you'll only learn by doing, and its a long process.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   9:49 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, on a $5 lot you're going to pay about $1.30 or 1.31 in expenses (.31 eBay, .45 paypal, .55 postage, though of course you can use discount postage and spend less out of pocket), and on a $10 lot it's about $1.75 (.61, .59, .55) - plus whatever you pay for envelope, stiffener, tape, paper, printing, etc. I very rarely price anything under $5.
Pillar Of The Community
2054 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russ, you've sold many things on eBay before. You already know the basic overhead costs.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and information. Additional experiences and opinions always appreciated.

July is turning out to be a busy month for our family so it may be fall before I seriously start listing material. When all is said and done the key to moving material is customer demand. Hopefully, our hobby will continue to attract newer folks into its ranks willing to become the new stewards of our treasures.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05