Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The US Stamp Society (Usss) Got Scammed For $49,000

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 3,145Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ANGORE - WHAT you failed to mention was that the notification on page 244 of the Journal was a small blasé worded paragrapgh buried in the middle of PAGE 2 of the Summary of the WESTPEX Meeting, not page 1! I doubt if 80% of the membership read that far. ALSO, it was reported in LINNs BEFORE it was released to membership! The arrogance of the USSS Board towards membership is only outweighed by their fourth-grade mentality.
Hal
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For what it is worth, I am inclined to not renew my membership and I just got a 25 year pin. If you are a member contact them like I did and complain.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   05:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This story is also now in the latest issue of Canadian Stamp News (CSN). Did this occur back in 2017?
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any more news on this issue? Who had access to these society funds? It's too bad that members have not been fully informed. This reminds one of how some politicians only pay attention to their consituents at voting time while ignoring them at all of the other times. Sometimes one feels that some societies only look to members when it comes to their membership due renewals.
Edited by jogil - 07/02/2019 12:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was the society treasurer involved with this or not?
Pillar Of The Community
1028 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The understandable desire to know every fact, every name, and every detail of who did what is not wise. For one thing, people volunteer to be officers of these societies. If you wanted to make it almost impossible to get anyone to ever volunteer again, just go ahead and publicize their names, addresses, and other information about their mistakes. And then there are lawyers and lawsuits. It might be best to exercise some self-control, releasing information about what happened, how it happened, and what the organization is doing to prevent it from happening again, but without names and too many details. A further reason not to outline too many details is that you give scammers the same information so they can learn what worked, and they will learn what you are now doing so they can work around your new policies, as well. I'd be hesitant for all these reasons to go into much detail.
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The flip side of not being transparent is that others may fall prey to the same scam and/or allow these people responsible to handle money again. Would you put the person responsible for this in charge of your money? If you needed to put a person in charge of your money would you want to know their background?

We had this same discussion when the APS guy was convicted of sex crimes with an underage person. He joined this community, never contributed anything, but then approached me and asked that I scrub/delete the thread with his name in it. His justification was that this conviction was hanging over his head. When I turned him down and unknown to me, he reverted to trying to guilt the original poster to delete the thread. The original posted caved and the record is now scrubbed. No one will be able to see who it was and he is free to go victimize someone else underage kid. After he got the original poster to remove the thread and delete the history of his conviction, he has never come back and never contributed anything here.

I do not support 'trial by social media' or 'public court' but I also do not support wiping history clean. I am willing to give people a second chance after they have been held responsible for their actions.
But if someone 'cannot do the time, then do not do the crime' and I do not buy into erasing history because it is unpleasant. Being transparent sometimes means you see how the sausage is made.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I said previously, if you are member of USSS you can ask them directly. I did but I am not going post the response here. Unlike the situation Don referenced, there is no court case that is public record.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/25/2019 9:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, the forum locks posts after 24 hrs so how can the poster retract a post without help.
Al
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   07:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He got help, but not from me.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   3:38 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had help, but not from you. After you complained about the decision and we talked (electronically), I ended up in your camp, the decision was reversed (by whomever), and so the entire discussion is still readily available !!

http://goscf.com/t/61278
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   5:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah...there are two Moderators and one Admin, I'll ask about this at the next Centennial SCF Soirée and Board of Directors meeting. Thank you for the correction.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At the Four Seasons again?
Pillar Of The Community
3963 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I don't like to sweep dirt under the rug, there are a few people in this world who absolutely revel in the misfortunes of others and want to see it all revealed. I doubt they would want their own life exposed in the same way they want to do it to others. Perhaps there is a balance of revealing and respect.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker - Heartily concur.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 3,145Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05