Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Cent George Washington Stamp Identification Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Zfinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I found this looking through some old stuff my grandpa left me after he passed away. I just googled stamps and recognized that this one (pictured below) was is his collection.

Now, I have no clue about stamps but tried to look it up myself but then I realized how many different versions of this stamp there is.

It measures roughly 2,5 cm vertically and 2 cm horizontal.

What I have collected so far is that it looks like there is 11 holes
per 2 cm vertically (maybe 11,5) on the stamp perforation and 11 holes horizontal.

I tried following this guide on how to specify which one it is and I would say it is Type 1 or 1A but I'm not so sure.

Thats why I went here for help.

Thank you in advance!

Send note to Staff
Edited by Zfinx - 06/24/2019 8:07 pm

Learn More...
6762 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
You are starting with a challenging stamp. You can download a temporary perf gauge here http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...rfGauge.html

Then move on to here
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/was...d32perf.html
and/or here
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rank_ID.html

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
3 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zfinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Don.

It's still an enigma, however I measure I get it to a perforation of 11 or 12. And using the links you provided I have narrowed it down to either:

12 perf = Type 1 number 406
or
11 perf = Type 1/1a number 461, 499 or 500.

Is there some big value difference in all these versions and should I get it graded by a professional who can see it in person?
Valued Member
Canada
47 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add imodius to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice light cancel on it too. It is a nice stamp.
3 Posts
Posted 06/24/2019   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zfinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What does that mean Imodius, but thank you I guess?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05