Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Your Guilty Pleasure, Philatelically Speaking?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add shermae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I browsed through the forum this evening, an idea popped into my head about an interesting topic. I thought it would be fun to discuss the range of our individual collecting tastes, from serious to frivolous.

In my case, I am a dedicated and ardent collector of MNH WW definitives. I go for complete sets, as well as perf varieties, shades, paper differences, and other standard varieties.

That said, I started a collection of Dinosaurs on Stamps back in 1978 and while I doubt I will ever have (or aspire to) a complete collection given the explosion of Dinosaur-topic stamps in the 1990s and beyond, I love these stamps as guilty pleasures. Dinosaur stamps are loaded with scientific inaccuracies, lack value (in most cases), are often poorly executed, and they are largely frivolous and exploitative. Heck, many creatures featured on "Dinosaur" stamps aren't even Dinosaurs- but I could care less.

I can also say that Fish and Shells stamps are guilty pleasures but I have not pursued them in the way I have pursued Dinosaur stamps.

So, what's your philatelic guilty pleasure?

Send note to Staff
Edited by shermae - 06/25/2019 12:13 am

Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that my guilty pleasures are coral reefs and tropical fish on stamps. Although my health has curtailed my activities recently, I've been a SCUBA diver for 35 years and these stamps appeal to me in that respect.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4245 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Building that one last decent Worldwide Collection . There has been many great and more expensive collections in history,but how far can I go by myself in the comprehensive area .
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moschophoros to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to my wife, my entire collection is a frivolous, guilty pleasure. From my perspective: Woodpeckers on stamps and Mushrooms on stamps. These are pretty similar to the dinosaurs mentioned above: lots of CTO, parts of oversized bird/mixed sets from 90's and beyond, etc. My wife is a mycologist and birding is another hobby of mine.

As a serious collector, I focus on Nepal, Greece, Czechoslovakia and Europa 1961.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogs in space! And Many stamps of the DDR, I collect mint, postally used and CTO, not so bad.... except there are 2 or more types of the CTO on many issues, and that I am guilty of collecting! Europa locals too! Of course these are all parts of my grand WW collection (mainly sorted by country)!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also an excessive amount of Bhutan!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1205 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Railroad locomotives on stamps (not trains, just locomotives).
Also, warships on stamps (not any warship, but the big ones like battleships and cruisers).

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coastwatcher and Trainwreck- what are your "serious" collecting interests?
Edited by shermae - 06/25/2019 10:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's the hunt, I love buying and then exploring collections or boxes, I have always been attracted to the treasure hunt.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1205 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what are your "serious" collecting interests?

Scandinavian definitives
Great Britain Machins and Wildings
Worldwide classics
Iceland Tollur cancels
Hungary three-hole punches
I've taken a break from U.S. revenues at the moment
Germany
Germany used in Austria and Czechoslovakia (Sudetenland) 1938-1945
United States
Canada
there may be more
Russia also
and precancels from U.S., Canada, France, Belgium
and Belgium "-10%" surcharges
and items from my hometowns (my philatelic nostalgia collections)
Edited by Trainwreck - 06/25/2019 10:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4245 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Buying and then exploring collections or boxes" Ken, you would be in Heaven going thru my collection .
Valued Member
Ecuador
144 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Machins all day long!
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Valued Member
Canada
361 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say mine is anything postal from my small town (population 3,000) or surrounding township here in SW Ontario. Really a side interest as otherwise not very interested in postal history. Covers, postcards, postmarks. Not a lot to be found as you can imagine, so it's a fairly cheap diversion as well, which I like!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Hey, there's a bunch of them !@#$%!

Multiples are my Peter-Pan-never-gonna-grow-up guilty pleasure.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Learn More...
6762 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   3:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Miniature Postcards, Tiny Covers, Smallest Post Offices, Western NC postal history, North American Christmas Seals, HPO stuff, control perfins (and psst... US cut squares, but don't tell anyone).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... US cut squares ...

US cut squares?

Dear G-d, Don, next thing you're going to tell us that you are buying the new issues, cutting them down, and hingeing them.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05