Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Your Guilty Pleasure, Philatelically Speaking?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, I was thinking the same thing re Don collecting impressed stamps viciously excised from envelopes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by shermae - 06/25/2019 4:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sand Dunes. Some CTO countries made some very attractive stamps along the way in the 1950s - 1960s.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coastwatcher and Trainwreck- what are your "serious" collecting interests?

My serious interests are the US until 2000, Rhodesia 1890-1980, British Solomon Islands until 1978, British Virgin Islands until the present, French Polynesia until 2000, and German Third Reich stamps including occupation issues. Oh yes, and US postal cards.
Edited by Coastwatcher - 06/25/2019 5:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guilty pleasure is I collect cheap US minor errors, EFOs that are on eBay, purely based on aesthetic usually from non major dealers. I don't discriminate by classic or modern, or the type of error. But this is a low cost treasure seek of oddball stuff.

This is aside from the more valuable EFOs (color omits, and imperfs) I hone in, usually color errors first. I love US space issues and science stamps, with an emphasis on their minor catalog listings. (Tagging omitted, and harder to find stuff)

Valued Member
United Kingdom
233 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect worldwide, so I consider anything beyond stamps off-paper a guilty pleasure eg. postmarks, covers.

Occasionally I set aside an interesting postmark, or an envelope full of the same stamp which could be full of interesting postmarks...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2712 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheap mission, or genuinely used mixtures. Most collectors go for the obvious "high values" and don't bother with cancellations and varieties, in my experience. But, I enjoy trying to find out about obscure stuff...regardless of catalog value.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
96 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Business covers from my hometown of Utica, NY and environs .
Pillar Of The Community
1934 Posts
Posted 06/29/2019   02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cinderellas (mainly, Catalan ones) and lately the Projuventute and Propatria Switzerland issues. Not too easy to find used at a good price.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
661 Posts
Posted 06/29/2019   1:55 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Essays and proofs. I don't collect them as a primary focus, but they can be so attractive that sometimes I can't resist. I guess Roosevelt Album proofs especially - because of all the research I did on them http://stampsmarter.com/proof/Home_proofs.html. I have a few pages in the front of my US album of essays and proofs. It makes a nice introduction, but I'm never serious about them and only buy them once in a while when my guilty pleasure wins out.
Valued Member
66 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Austro-Hungary cancels, they cover an amazingly diverse part of the globe. I guess the guilty pleasure side of it is I can occasionally look past the condition aspect of the stamp (pulled perfs, small thins, etc), if the cancel is clean and clear.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1543 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having too many collections. USA, GB, KGVI Commonwealth, and worldwide. They keep me busy.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1543 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, And my Machins! I just got a 2003 Deegam encyclopedia. It is in beautiful shape and looks brand new.

Jack
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack, how deeply do you get into the KGVI definitives? A lot of Americans kind of skip over shades, papers, and plate flaws/varieties. I've never had the interest in plate flaws but really like all the other "basic" varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2379 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does not help that Scott does not cover KGVI to the degree as even the basic SG catalog.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Totally agree. And then some values attempt to blend scarce and common varieties so that the common variety is overpriced in Scott and the scarce variety isn't listed.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05