Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Watching Kelleher's Mlg Auction?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
507 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:09 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Out of the first twelve lots, eleven were passed. Train wreck so far...
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A disaster for sure. The material is far too specialized with high estimates. I wonder what the room looks like. I am going there tomorrow to view some collection lots. Kind of wish I could have gone today to see what is going on.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1099 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:27 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you going to look at 1629? If so I hope you can let us know what you think, unless you're planning to bid on it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken - I am not bidding on 1629 but will take a look at it and share my thoughts. I am looking more at some non album lots this time around with maybe one exception.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am guessing that the large selection of Graf Zeppelin covers will do well. Hopefully.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1099 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:18 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'm going over Friday and stay for the auction on Saturday but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
United States
507 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to someone who tried to keep count, out of 546 lots, 190 went unsold...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I just got back from Danbury and I will start with my thoughts on lot 1629.

The stated cv of approximately 800,000 is real and the material is impressive and is generally of nice condition. A few volumes comprise half of the cv. Australia and Australian States are strong with items such as 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge set both MNH and used, Kookabura miniature sheet MNH, 142a-144a MNH and so on. Lots of very juicy countries such as DWI, COGH, Caroline Islands etc.. France has a 224 souvenir sheet with FDC and other key souvenir sheets are MNH. Canada is strong with two sets of the Jubilee issue both MNH and used. There are certificates scattered throughout. The Cameroun to Colombia volume alone has a cv of 150,000 plus. I was surprised that countries such as GB and Italy were not that great overall with short sets, scattered coverage and not too many key values although there are some good items such as mint 10 shilling seahorses. Overall tons of Brittanias, chalons and so forth. The value in general is in the many items which could easily be retailed on their own. It is a good lot that will attract dealers looking to pick and sell the many stand alone items and peddle the balance. I saw no evidence of anything having been removed. The lot will draw strong money and a lot of interest I think. I doubt it will achieve estimate because at 100,000 plus commission you are looking at 15 of cv. You can get 25 to 50 percent for the nice single lots but then the balance attractiveness drops quite a bit. That is my first take on it.

One complaint about some of the other lots I reviewed. Do not use superlatives that have no basis in reality when describing. "Massive holding" does not mean a shoebox of material. I reviewed seven lots and one looks promising. Cannot tell you which one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1099 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   6:30 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, you should write descriptions. I find the descriptions of collections are often terrible and I'm not talking about just Kelleher.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2037 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lots of very juicy countries such as DWI, COGH, Caroline Islands etc

Cape? - the triangles have lots of cat value, but little real world value
Edited by eyeonwall - 06/26/2019 10:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever. I was doing people a favor by giving a description of what was in the lot. I am not going to start defending or arguing what is valuable in the real world, not valuable in the real world, what "juicy" means or meant or does not mean or any other silliness. The point was that the Cape is quite nice in scope and content as are many other countries. Your opinion regarding real world value is noted and filed.
Learn More...
7086 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   03:22 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Thanks, you should write descriptions...

Now there is a good job for a person who is located close to the primary auction houses. Start a business writing third party objective descriptions. Build the business by offering auction house deep discounts for the service and until you get your reputation established. After you become established and your descriptions are respected, you could charge more for the service. Heck, the service might even expand into showing the auction houses how to use good representative images too! (Might even be feasible to start a website and post the descriptions yourself.)
Lord knows that there is much room for improvement.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the detail description, What is a detail summary worth 5 to 10 dollars per lot can make it a worthwhile effort . Anything less your doing charity work .

We all look at any large lot differently,I look for stuff you nornally don't see and also complete sets . Others look at catalog ,and others discount anything after 1960's ,each to their own .

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not certain that some of them want "improvement" because the reality of the lot does not stir the bidders soul. I do think that in the end the auction houses would be doing themselves a big favor by providing much more detail or not using language that leads to expectations that cannot be met. There were two lots yesterday that I looked at that used the word "massive" in the descriptions and if a bidder had not seen them in person at some point prior to bidding they would absolutely be in for a shock if they won and the small package arrived on their doorstep. The description could not have been a mistake. Everybody knows the difference between massive and small. What I do not understand is the why. A new customer would be highly ticked off to the point that they do not return. At least I would think so.

On the other hand firms like Siegel offer very terse descriptions and very seldom provide photos for large mixed lots. Same for Cherrystone and Spink. I have to believe that they really want floor bidders who have reviewed the material to be the primary bidders.

The auction houses are aware of all of this for the most part. SAN has conducted bidder surveys in the past asking what improvements bidders would like to see from auction houses when it comes to listings and more photos and better descriptions of large lots is always at or near the top of the list.

It would be an interesting business though. Time for an IPO!
Edited by rogdcam - 06/27/2019 08:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1099 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find each auction house has it's own style of describing lots. HR Harmer is very optimistic, Dutch Country is very conservative and as a bidder I've learned these traits. However unless a description is very specific I will not bid aggressively unless I travel to see it and I don't do that often. If auction houses improved their descriptions and included more pictures I think I would bid higher.

On the other conversation I was under the impression that many auction houses already used outside people to write their descriptions.

Another idea is for collectors who are consigning to auction houses to include descriptions when they submit their material. It makes it easier for the auction house and the items get better descriptions.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3407 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken - Love the idea of providing descriptions with consigned material. I might give it a go for the material I have with Kelleher for their October Collections auction. I will let you know how receptive they are to that.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05