Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Watching Kelleher's Mlg Auction?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 3,148Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
516 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the sparse descriptions and lack of pictures very frustrating as a bidder who is not able to be a floor bidder in all but a couple auctions here in Ontario. I have passed on many lots where the description sounds tantalizing but lack of pictures, specifics or (worst of all) the words "must inspect" kill my interest. I would think the auction houses end up losing out on potential bidders as a result.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1279 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was talking to HR Harmer yesterday and they said they appreciated owner descriptions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1388 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Requests by distant bidders for more pictures of box lots is common in this forum, but appears unlikely to happen. In this case, "good enough is good enough" appears to be the mantra of the auction houses. As long as they continue to yield acceptable results without those pictures, they are not going to incur the costs of making and uploading images. They would have to invest in a high-speed document camera and two people to unbox the material, move material in front of the camera, rebox the material, upload and check the images. The time and cost are not trivial. And perhaps they believe that the "mystery" involved in such box lots actually is better for them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that the "mystery" is the key Chris. In Kelleher's case there is no shortage of manpower available to handle material for imaging. You would need a qualified person to operate the camera. Notes and post-it notes on items/pages you want scanned need to be put together by a decision maker. The fee per photo on SAN is ten cents. Given that the House takes plus or minus 40 percent in total commissions on sales it should not be onerous especially if it increased high bids. They probably already know that what is left to the imagination is far better for them.

For most of the material I consign lots of photos would do wonders but then my lots would stick out like a sore thumb and people may wonder why the detail for one and not much for the others.

You hit it on the head though, lots of Marvel Mystery Oil and call it a day.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1279 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   3:26 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kelleher offers lots of pictures for US collections, and for many other lots but for WW material 1 picture is more normal. I don't understand it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   10:47 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" I have to believe that they really want floor bidders who have reviewed the material to be the primary bidders."

Anyone who views a lot has no right to complain about what is in (or not in) the lot. Much more preferable to an auction house than a bidder who bids blind and then complains.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1477 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In this case, "good enough is good enough" appears to be the mantra of the auction houses. As long as they continue to yield acceptable results without those pictures, they are not going to incur the costs of making and uploading images.

Perhaps this is a lesson to see if you can get your auction house to agree up front in writing as to how many images they will provide for your lot, or even if they would be willing to accept yours to save them time and money while enhancing your lots.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 1629 has jumped from its $50,000 opening to $70,000 as of this AM. Bidding will be very competitive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that the lot made that big of a jump .I believe this is going to be a very aggressive auction for bidders .Today should tell us.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was at Kelleher's on Wednesday there were several people settled in reviewing material. It was quite busy. I hope that it is not too aggressive for my sake.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am going after a few of those Internationals . I like the way they are broken down to areas of interest . Reading the auction catalog ,it sounds like someone done a nice job of seperating the pages .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pickup a British area collection today in albums .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4625 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How was the bidding?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
British Colonies held up very well,I don't collect U.S. or watch how U.S. Prices move .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1279 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   9:59 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I attended today, there were 5 folks looking at lots in the back room and lunch was pretty good. As always I was surprised that viewing the lots makes such a big difference. What I was expecting from the description is usually way off. I watched the US collection auction for a couple hours and was surprised there were only 4 other guys in the room. Bidding was pretty good but it was all on the net or the phone, I think the only time I saw a paddle raised was for the lot I wanted and we both lost. Tomorrow I'll get serious.

I would encourage folks in the area to attend a Kelleher auction if they can. The staff are very nice and they always feed us, and there is absolutely no pressure to bid.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 3,148Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.37 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05