Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Virgin Islands 1937 Half Day Sale ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add HTx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All

The item below is a first day cover from the V.I.
Inscribed on the back, written in pencil is;
" these stamps were only sold for 1/2 day in St. Thomas "

Does that sound correct? Why would that be ?

thanks,
htx

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6324 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am unsure about this, but I think most stamps are sold only half a day or less. Usually he PO is only open 8 hours, but if the stamp is sold during a stampshow it can be longer by a few hours ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HTx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Petert4522

I did not know that new issues were only sold half day.
I would have thought just the opposite. Since stamp collecting was high in popularity during that time.
But I can see where half day sales would help boost enthusiasm for the new issue.

Thanks for the reply
htx
Pillar Of The Community
United States
589 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is an attractive illustration on the front. Too bad it was roughly opened.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
1004 Posts
Posted 06/29/2019   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose it is possible that the sales counter was only open for half a day given that the capital 'city' of the Virgin Islands, Charlotte Amalie (formerly called St. Thomas) only had a population of about 7,400 and so local demand for a post office to be open would not likely have been very strong. That would have been combined with the need for the small handful of postal workers in such a small post office to process the vast numbers of first day covers that inundated them rather than standing at the counter waiting for customers. I would guess that the postmaster would have pulled everyone into processing first day covers as soon as he was able to do so. I found a record from December 16, 1939 (the day after the first day) that says First day covers were dispatched the same day by steamer to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Covers that had postage of at least 10 cents (such as a block of 4 of these 3 cent stamps) were put on an aircraft on December 16 at 9 o'clock in the morning and were due to arrive in Miami. Florida by 5 o'clock that evening. Covers with less than 10 cents in postage were sent by boat to New York City and were due to arrive there by December 20. For the cover shown in the first post, it has 21 cents in postage so it would have been on the plane from San Juan to Miami where it would have been sent to Cristobal, Canal Zone on the next regular passenger and mail service flight on Foreign Air Mail route number 5 (FAM 5) which was provided by Pan American Airways. The plane from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Miami, Florida would also have been a regular Pan American Airways mail and passenger service flight. I agree that it is unfortunate that the recipient tore the envelope open at the left. It is also unfortunate that the sender mangled at least two of the stamps (the ones at the upper right). I do like the nice vignette at the lower left of the envelope.
Edited by Kimo - 06/29/2019 10:34 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05