Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Now Adding "Sponsor" Items Randomly To Search Results

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

69 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Redtail to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have notice in the past few days eBay search items that don't fit my search criteria showing up at the start, middle and randomly in my results. This includes "sponsor" items far outside my price point. These items are not in any price order as requested in the search so it adds some confusion. I find having random items outside my price points unhelpful. Has this new "user enhancement" feature been notice by anybody else and if so does it bother you or do you find it helpful?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
562 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   9:48 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a buyer, I have not particularly noticed it in my searches, and I can't think of an instance where I clicked through on a sponsored item and bought it, though given the amount of time I spend on eBay and the number of transactions I do I suppose it's possible.

As a seller, I use promoted listings regularly and I find that a very high percentage of my sales of buy-it-now items come through those promotions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2726 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed it. Just one more annoyance.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   04:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Advertising,
a modern blight on humanity, yet no one seems to talk about it.
Australian "free to air TV" has become almost unwatchable.
Interruptions every 5 minutes or so.

One has to tape, then be a wizard with the fast forward.

Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

eBay has caused two or more "store" operators to quit relisting overpriced covers that never sold the first, or second, or time with their new policies. However, the void has not been filed with virgin material not seen on eBay in the past.

Yep, sponsored items seem to be mostly repeat over priced material. However, I now find "new listing" notes on some items. What generates this notation on some new(er) material?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1149 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has been going on for some time.
Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have noticed it also. I'm not interested in the items that don't meet my search criteria, so I just skip past those items.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4507 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   10:39 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not seeing this behavior for any searches on eBay at all.

Then again, I never use the default "Best Match" sorting option, as that is sorted by whatever or whomever's listing(s) eBay wants to push on you. I only ever use sorted by newest, ending soonest, highest, or lowest.

That's one of the very first things I recommend to eBay users: get away from the default Best Match option, as it's geared toward what eBay wants you to see rather than what YOU want to see.
Edited by revenuecollector - 06/26/2019 10:41 am
Learn More...
6797 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   10:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am surprised that eBay has never implemented a 'wanted' feature. Seems to me that if they gave users the ability to post 'wanted to buy' items they could then notify buyers whenever a new listing matched their want list. There are many ways to implement this (including not making the list public) and eBay already has what it needs (infrastructure) to pull this off.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1466 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am surprised that eBay has never implemented a 'wanted' feature. Seems to me that if they gave users the ability to post 'wanted to buy' items they could then notify buyers whenever a new listing matched their want list. There are many ways to implement this (including not making the list public) and eBay already has what it needs (infrastructure) to pull this off.

Don,

eBay already has this feature. I use it all the time.

See below for an example.

Jim

Learn More...
6797 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion they should not 'hide' this under search functionality but rather bring it into the light as a stand alone feature.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1466 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested in how to get emails for your saved searches:

1. Enter your search word in the category that you want.

Click on "save this search."

2. Go to your "My eBay" page and click on "saved searches."

3. Go to the saved search that you want to get an email alert for, and select "subscribe email."

Jim
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am surprised that eBay has never implemented a 'wanted' feature. Seems to me that if they gave users the ability to post 'wanted to buy' items they could then notify buyers whenever a new listing matched their want list.

Bingo!
I have wondered that for the past 10 years, when I began collecting Romania and searched for rarer material.
It remained a surprise, no one began a "wanted" app for any/all items.

On a tangent, it mystifies me why in my regional location, all house refuse / tip sites, are now fenced and locked.
For years tip scavenging was a weekly delight, now everything goes immediately to landfill, just last Tuesday, I witnessed 4 full bins of aluminium cans, get buried.
Still our governments refuse to initiate a deposit scheme on recycleables.
McDonalds still has plastic straws.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4507 Posts
Posted 07/05/2019   10:00 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, eBay had a public wantlist feature for many years, but ultimately did away with it:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archi...d-p/25406138

Quote:
Ebay used to have something like that. But they discontinued it a number of years ago. It got to the point that people who posted items wanted were inundated with spam advertisements from sellers (I know someone who posted an item she wanted one night and woke up to more than 200 messages in her inbox, none related to the item she was looking for). But the biggest reason eBay did away with it is that it encouraged off-eBay sales, which deprive eBay of fees. And that's the reason it will never come back.

To return to the main topic of the thread, I too am now seeing sponsored listings when I do searches, depending on the category and search. I don't see it in stamps, but am seeing it in coins. It's annoying AF. When I sort by newest, ending soonest, highest, lowest, that is what I want to see, not promoted/sponsored listings outside of that sort order.

eBay really is circling the bowl with its manipulations; they are pissing off buyers and sellers alike in droves.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05