Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Good Ole Days...nassau Street 1955

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
ytGKRiXa9d4

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6442 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice t.vo be watching what it was like when I was a teener, but I believe I never handled my collectible stamps without tongs

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3739 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Moreover, at 3:06, she seems to be placing a stamp, moist from the watermark fluid, onto the page of her album.

Q/ Where are the hinges?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool but I also can't believe how the dealer and the collector handled the stamps with their bare hands.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
722 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   6:23 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love it. Having only recently visited the Collector's Club for the first time, that was a nice bit to see.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2484 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had visited Nassau Street in the early 70's to attend stamp bourses when we lived in Brooklyn. My favorite dealer at the bourse was Raymond Snitow.
Al
Edited by angore - 06/26/2019 6:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   7:39 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got gipped out of Nassau Street. This movie was made one year before I was born, and having received my first stamp album when I was 10 years old, by the time I became a full-fledged addict at the age of 12, the same age when I might have been allowed to take the subway south to Nassau Street from where we stayed in midtown, we up and moved to London for six years. By the time we returned to New York in 1974, it was time for college and other pursuits. When I got back into the hobby, Nassau Street had sadly become a legend fortunately preserved by movies such as this. Of course, while I was in London, I did get to experience, amongst other philatelic strongholds, The Strand...
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing to think that there were 12 million collectors in the US alone at one time. That was probably 5% of the entire population! I doubt if there are even one tenth that number today. Still, it gratifies me to think that some of the scarce items I have of which there might be only a few thousand can be owned by just a fraction of the total number of collectors that still remain
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 06/26/2019   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great little video!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
634 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1988 7th edition - 1st revised of Nassau Street by Herman Herst, Jr., published by Amos Press.

It is free to the first person who contacts me and offers to pays the postage to ship it.
Edited by oldguy - 07/19/2019 8:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice offer OLDGUY , I would take you up but I already got a copy ,nice of you to offer it .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WADDSBADDS ----Nice comparison , but let me put the shoe on the other foot , back in the 1950's only a few people could spend $100.00 a year on stamps ,but today $1,000 a month is not that unusual .

We still have Nassau Street today ,it is alive and well and buying and selling is now 24/7 365 days a year ,no subway needed . The money flowing is one hundred times greater with 1/10 the people collecting ,it is called eBay .

Can you image if there were 1,000,000 buyers of those 12 million former collectors in the stamp section of eBay .
Pillar Of The Community
605 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt she's putting a just-watermarked and still wet stamp directly into her album. It's a film. Just because something happens next does not mean it happened immediately after the previous scene. Films are edited, you know.

As for handling stamps with your hands, most collectors do that to some extent. Look at the few famous photos of FDR with his collection. Do you see him ever use stamp tongs? It's bare fingers. No harm will result if you wash your hands before you work on your collection. But, yes, stamp tongs are preferable -- and easy to use.

As for Nassau Street, I had the opportunity in the early 60s to take the subway down there and wander in and out of a few stamp stores. I was a bit too young, and much too poor, to benefit much from the visits, unfortunately. By the time I was older and had a few dollars to my name, most of the stamp shops had either moved to the suburbs or closed up. So that was the tail end of Nassau St. as a stamp market. A bit sad.

The best thing about this film is the ultra-serious, pontifical tone of the narration as if this wasn't a hobby, but a kind of very serious endeavor, an "industry" as they refer to it. This sort of seriousness bothered me as a kid, and it still bothers me now. Lighten up a bit. Today, this kind of narration is laughable. But it's a good historical film nevertheless because it represents both a phase in the hobby -- and a phase in film-making of the old-school variety.

"Today's stamp industry is prospering among the skyscrapers of New York not far from Wall Street where similar investments are being made . . . ." No one said this, but you almost expect them to. It's a hobby.
Edited by DrewM - 07/19/2019 9:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4272 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   02:39 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent. I'm afraid that, unlike some of you, I haven't had a tweezer attachment fitted to my hand - I use them judiciously, rather than constantly. The tone is simply the standard for this sort of short film. It's what I remember from the days of news films, when going to the flicks was a cheap, lengthy experience, rather than an expensive two hours.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05