Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia Post Grille Advertising Posters.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
224 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Penguins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Does anyone else collect this type of Post Office material?
Australia Post Counter grille advertising posters.
We have a run of 50 of the Pre-stamped envelopes from 1978 to 1985
12 First Day Cover types, a couple of aerogrammes, the 27c Peregrine Falcon pre-stamped letter card and even
Tax return 22c, and Posting your Tax Return 27c.

They make a very colourful display, but they take up an awful lot of space!
Perhaps I should paper the wall in the stamp den with them.

We'd be interested to hear of anyone else who hoards this type of material.

Cheers
Ron and Eunice.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
776 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Penguins...
P.O. gave/disposed of their official 'Last new stamp issue Poster' when picking up my 'standing philatelic order' for each new issue. Accumulated 100(maybe more) for stamp room walls if painting was needed. Three daughters kicked me out from each room successively, posters still remain in P.O. cardboard tubes 30 years on.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Ephemera can broaden your collection in more ways that one, eh?

Two sheets of 1/8" thick clear acrylic plastic don't cost much; here in the US, Home Depot happily cuts them to size ... which should be, say, four inches larger, in height & width, than the poster.

You will need to give the poster something to rest on, so's it does not fall out the bottom ... cloth ribbon of the sort with which women once secured their hems will do nicely, and comes in a variety of colors, and you can double it up to thicken it.

Place the ribbon across what will be the rear-most sheet, about two inches from the bottom. ... you can use a simple water-vulnerable household glue like Elmer's to fix the ribbon in place and, if need be, easily remove & replace it.

Lastly, place a poster in between the sheets, and use UHU's removable gummies (below) in each corner to mate them for less-than-life.

I'll leave it to y'all to work-out how to best hang/rest that arrangement, and how often to swap-out one poster for another, and what color ribbon work best ... white would disappear nicely, but a complimentary color shows good taste.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who has been mulling what to do with the magnificent & ridiculous over-size covers he bought out of a bargain box at NAPEX)

https://www.uhu.com/en/product-page...-yellow/4948
https://www.uhu.com/en/product-page...visible/4949
https://www.uhu.com/en/product-page...ix-deco/4169

http://elmers.com/product/detail/school-glue

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26650 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We'd be interested to hear of anyone else who hoards this type of material.

Yes, I collect them, and have several hundred.
Most are around 3 foot square.

Quote:
Perhaps I should paper the wall in the stamp den with them.

Opinion.
Vandalism. Not saved for history.
Edited by rod222 - 06/27/2019 10:41 pm
Valued Member
Australia
224 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finches.

We arrived in Oz too late to really get involved with Australian philately, too expensive!

I did however collect the booklets and have a fair collection of those (not the earliest ones of course.)

Working on the philatelic counter for a fair amount of time I could get them at face and I also had a standing order which I cancelled after the 1996 AFL issue. I collected two of each to show the cover and also opened to show the stamps. That meant 32 booklets at $4.50 each I don't think so.

Those new stamp issue posters you have, are they the full sized ones that were displayed on walls in the P.O. rather than at the counter?
Being kicked out of so many rooms I reckon you need a 'Man's Shed' A bit of a storage problem I should think!

Ikey.

That idea of paper the wall was rather tongue in cheek, something that the 'Penny Black Wallpaper Room' brought to mind.

However, should I ever think seriously of that you have given plenty of information to help.

I know what you mean about oversized covers and we also have some old wall posters which sit on top of a cupboard nowhere else to put them.

Cheers.
Ron.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
776 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Penguines..

Ron, yes..posters are full size...were displayed inside P.O. glass Philatelic Cabinet. Some/most were never displayed because P.O. received 2 copies, displaying only one in the Philatelic section, P.O. gave undisplayed spare still in cardboard tube.

My lot of Posters start around 'Bicentenary First Fleet' stamp issues...strip of 5.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05