Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Stamps From Envelopes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
43 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is the generally accepted process to remove gummed stamps from envelopes still soaking in cold water until they separate?
I remember doing a lot of this back in the 50's.

Chris
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   7:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes... clear, cool water. Change if you soak a lot stamps or if the water begins to discolor.
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ho...kStamps.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2981 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be aware that modern self-adhesive/self-stick stamps, including U.S. will usually not soak off in water.

There are threads (individual discussions) on Stamp Community Forum about removing these stamps from envelopes.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 06/27/2019 8:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3743 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Keywords to search:

- Solvents, eg, Pure Citrus, Ronsonol

- PSA = Pressure-Sensitive Adhesive (requires a solvent)

- WAG = Water-Activated Gum (what you remember)

One thing that has changed, however, is that some folks have become a little more interested in preserving usages (stamps to make a rate for a particular service), postmarks from less common points-of-origin, slogan cancels, GPU (Genuinely Postally Used) stamps that you normally/only see as CTO, etc.

"Every cover tells a story".

But, okay, some are pretty dull.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, folks. I just wanted to know if there was any new development and I see there is none. I do have a lot of pressure sensitive stamps but my focus is not on them as yet.

Chris
Valued Member
United States
29 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mooselaab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you keep the stamp on the envelope and just cut around it?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
423 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of folks collect postally used self-adhesives on paper, just cut the piece close. This can bulk up an album or stockbook pretty fast, though.

Pure Citrus in fact does work great at removing those stamps from paper, but then you have to rub the gummy stuff off of the back, and possibly sprinkle with unscented talc to keep any remaining residue from sticking to things.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5664 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why even remove them? Leaving them on cover paints a much bigger picture with sender, receiver, postal markings, etc. Removed it's just a stamp with no idea where it came from or who sent it. Just my .02
Valued Member
51 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey stallzer, 99 more of these would be your 2 cents!

But seriously, though...

When using Pure Citrus, I facilitate the "rubbing off" of the goopified gum with a little plastic razor blade. A tissue can be used for a final pass to get any remaining bits.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05