Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937 Coronation Onmibus Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DaveG28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These stamps are a new topic to me, despite my years of collecting. In recent years, I've accumulated a couple of older collections full of 1930's and earlier stamps. I've come across a number of the 1937 Coronation stamps from different countries scatter throughout these albums. I'd kind of like to see how many of them I've obtained, and maybe try to get them all, if possible. I've discovered that there are 202 stamps in the set...is that correct? Did each issuing entity produce the same number of stamps, colors and values? Are some impossible to find and I can't reasonably hope to get them all? My curiosity is up on this one now.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5758 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are easily obtained. No, not all values / countries are the same. Scott and SG both list all the countries. 202 is correct if you include the New Foundland long set.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've found album pages to download for free, so now I have that. I'll be combing through those old Scott big blues this weekend gathering up what I already have so I have an idea of what I'll be looking for. Here's where I found the pages, if anyone is interested:

http://theamateurphilatelist.invert...album-pages/
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should have no problem completing your Coronation collection. They are readily available from a number of sources at reasonable prices, including my own website - kgvistamps.com. Look in the George VI Mint store and you will find a complete list of them.
The challenge would be if you plan to look for them in Never Hinged or Used condition. But mint previously hinged should be no problem.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frankly, I'll take them anyway I can get them. The ones I have already are indeed mint previously hinged. I love starting a new stamp project! My wife...usually not so thrilled. "More stamps?" is what I usually hear from her. But she's a good sport.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28141 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

106 Stamps in the set.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6624 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, is your set the wrong coronation ?

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28141 Posts
Posted 06/29/2019   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter,
does my face colour, answer your question?

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28141 Posts
Posted 06/29/2019   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
202 stamps
Stanley Gibbons 1993 Catalogue.

Edited by rod222 - 06/29/2019 01:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4540 Posts
Posted 06/29/2019   01:48 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If mint, they're easily found and pretty cheap - thus UM set went for less than £50, including buyer's premium -

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/a...hived/199666
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Near the front of every Scott Catalog volume is a list of all the British omnibus stamps up to the date of the catalog as well as a similar list for French. I have found it useful to tear this out of one of my old catalogs and mark it as a want list which I take to stamp shows or use when I am trading.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1304 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My dad had a lot of these stamps when I was a young lad. I have them now. They were the first set I wanted to complete when I started working. I went all over Sydney piecing the collection together. Loads of fun

To buy all 202 in one go just wouldn't be as fun. Collecting the issues on cover would be somewhat more of a challenge!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to have come to this late

I also collect 1937 coronation
I find it a fascinating aspect of social history to see which parts of the world were formally linked to GB at that time.

My understanding is that the omnibus set - comprising 3 standard stamps - were issued through the Crown Agents by those countries that were technically colonies
For reasons I'm not aware of New Zealand also used this standard set although it wasn't a colony as such

Other countries were free to issue their own designs (or nothing at all)
Other designs were produced by:
Canada
Nauru
Newfoundland which issued the so called long set as well as the common 3 value set
New Guinea
Papua
South Africa
South West Africa
Southern Rhodesia

Morocco Agencies used the GB stamp issue (overprinted 3 different ways)

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4540 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   10:07 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The NZ stamps used the portraits, but with a different overall design.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the correction

Any ideas why they stuck to the basic design rather than have their own?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4540 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   10:40 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably just a "why start from scratch" moment.

Going back to Bobby's earlier post, here's a set for sale on cover. Wouldn't meet his "joy of the hunt" criterion, though ...

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/a...logue/231108
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05