Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937 Coronation Onmibus Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,673Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks

These crop up on eBay regularly also

I'm with Bobby - it's the fun of the chase rather than buying a job lot

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
393 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I made a set of pages for the KG VI Coronation Omnibus series. They are available as a FREE download from http://www.thestampweb.com/albums.html .

Scroll down to the last grouping on the page - TOPICALS - and select the KG VI Coronation Omnibus pdf file. If you have a copy of the AlbumEasy software, you can also download the text file (.txt) so you can customize the pages or add to them.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1497 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain issued a single stamp for the issue and Cook Islands & Niue are the New Zealand issue but overprinted.

I always thought Southern Rhodesia had a very attractive set, as they did for the 1935 Silver Jubilee.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
393 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bobby. Here's that page (with stamps) from my KG VI Coronation Omnibus set.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5033 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mikwizzy - I think you mean "typical", whereas the Southern Rhodesia is "atypical".
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
out of interest does anyone know why the issue dates for the coronation set varied from country to country?

The majority were issued on 12th May (a Wednesday)
Canada issued first on the 10th (a Monday)
Cook Islands issued last on 1st June (a Tuesday)

I though it might be logistics for some of the more remote countries but that doesn't seem to explain the variation
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
506 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know for sure but it is possible that all of the common design were issued by Crown Agencies on a single date while the others, e.g. Britain, Southern Rhodesia, were issued by the local administrations on dates of their choosing.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought about that also

However, Ascension for example used the standard Crown agent set but issued on 19th May
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here's the list of countries which issued other than 12th May (which was a Wednesday)

Omnibus set
Ascension 19/5/1937
Barbados 14/5/1937
Bermuda 14/5/1937
British Solomon Islands 13/5/1937
Cayman Islands 13/5/1937
Cook Islands 1/6/1937
Dominica 13/5/1937
St Helena 15/5/1937
Somaliland 13/5/1937

Local set
Canada 10/5/1937
New Zealand 13/5/1937
Nuie 13/5/1937
Papua 14/5/1937
Tangier 13/5/1937
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1484 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That should be NIUE (not Nuie).
Cook Islands, like Niue, overprinted the New Zealand set.
Nauru and New Guinea used the same design as Papua.
Nauru 10/5/1937
New Guinea 18/5/1937
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
854 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
collecting the issues on cover would be somewhat more of a challenge

That is what I have been trying to do! Trust me it's hard to do on covers!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
22crows

thanks for the corrections

Still no info on why the dates varied
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikwizzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie02

these covers do crop up regularly in auctions an on eBay although the quality can be difficult
Be aware that they're sometimes shown as FDC's but the cancel shows otherwise - I think because it's assumed that the 12th May was the issue date

Illustrated FDCs are also available in all sorts of wonderful designs

Over the years I've managed to find FDCs of most of these but I'm still missing 4 countries
Edited by mikwizzy - 12/01/2019 12:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been accumulating the Michael Sanders cachets for this issue for a few years now, and I'm no where near the level of completion I'd like. :)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
854 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mikwizzy I only have about 30 odd covers so far, but I grab them when I see them going cheaply, the strangest one is Australia's version...no big deal just a couple of very ordinary stamps!

Billsey...great cover!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,673Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05