Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tagging Shift On US 1622

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 511Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Alan B to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired a sheet of US 1622 - Star Flag over Independence Hall, and noticed an oddity when I looked at the tagging. The tagging is block tagging, but has shifted almost a half stamp width to the side. I'd scan a copy in, but don't know how to do it with my HP copier AND get the tagging to show.

Has anyone else noticed this shift? - Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7650 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tagging shifts like that are very common. You can check the tagging survey on StampSmarter to see if yours is listed

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alan B to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter,

Thank you for the reference. They do have some examples of minor shifts up and down, but nothing as dramatic as the shifts on my stamps. I'll have to see how I can scan a copy while under blacklight.

Alan
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alan

Right now as you saw I only have minor shifts shown for this issue. I expected major shifts to exist I just don't have any at this time to show. As mentioned by Peter block shifts can be common, though dramatic ones can be a bit more uncommon. I used my iPhone to take the picture on the stampsmarter site. I use one hand to hold the SW UV light and the other hand to snap the picture. Trick is to not try and hold the camera to close to the stamp. People do this trying to fill the screen with the stamp image. The cameras on the phones don't focus close in. It is better to pull back and get a sharper image and then crop. Some of my early pictures are a bit soft for this reason but I am slowing replacing them

Mark S
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a bunch of 1622's I hadn't soaked or cataloged yet. I did a quick check and did a grab shot. The one on the right sounds similar to what you describe. The one on the left is a more dramatic vertical shift than what is posted online. I expect shifts can be found where the block tag is shifted half way up as well as potentially half way up/down and left/right such that it forms an untagged cross though the center. These are all considered freaks. The specked tagging on the left one adds to its freakish nature.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 511Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05