Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brazil 200 Reis Blue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 07/03/2019   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add marapaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello members,

I have found these blue Brazil 200 reis stamps. On the 1st picture you can see the differents between each stamps. The last stamp shows the letter E tilted (second picture better view). On the last picture for me is a beauty. They said there was some forgery with the 200 reis blue, Please advice. Thank you Mara

Send note to Staff
Edited by marapaul - 07/03/2019 5:31 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1534 Posts
Posted 07/03/2019   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe your rightmost stamp is a postal forgery.

For the postal forgery:
  • The "C" of CORREIO is squared off at top and bottom and is slightly larger than the rest of the letters.

• In the crown of laurel leaves, the leaves are slightly larger and whiter (shading different and not as heavily drawn)

• The "corner" design at upper right is clearly separated from the scroll

• The bottom right "REIS" has thinner letters, most notably in "S"

There are more points but are obscured by cancels here, or overinking. These characteristics are also true for the bicolor 100R, 200R, 300R and 500R postal forgeries.

EDIT:The most obvious is that the genuine was printed in two steps typically with two different shades of blue, though sometimes hard to distinguish. This postal forgery was apparently only printed in one step with one shade of blue overall.

Additionally, the postal forgeries are known used around 1900. If the lowest "9" in the cancel means 1899, that fits also.

This is not a rarity but is relatively scarce.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 07/03/2019 7:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 07/03/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marapaul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi hy-brasil,

I really like your feedback I did not known I was holding a forgery postal stamp. As for your comments it sounds like a scare stamp. I did not get any information on the first stamp which is a darker blue and I thought that one was a postal forgery. I will like to know if there is any value. Your most attention to this matter will be appreciate. Again thank you Mara.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1534 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first/left one is a genuine stamp that is just more heavily inked and in somewhat different colors than the middle one. This issue comes in many shades. Again, this one is printed in 2 shades of blue, as it should be. I list the differences so that if you have more of these, or if anyone has this stamp, they should be able to check it for themselves.

I have absolutely no idea of the value for this. I suggest you keep the postal forgery on the fragment of paper that it is on.

A nice find.

Edited by hy-brasil - 07/06/2019 03:16 am
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marapaul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Again thank you for your feedback. Mara
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05