Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Having Trouble Identifying The Pss # For These Stamps.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
373 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vacuum man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope everyone is having a happy 4th.

Here is a bunch of stamps that I am having trouble finding the PSS number for.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I probably need to give particulars om the stamps. It might be that I have an older town and type catalog (fifth ed) and don't have updated information but here goes:

Norwich Conn. Block caps 2mm high between 13mm lines Looks like a PSS 61 but the cat starts with 204
Logansport IND Block caps 3mm high between 14mm lines
Philadelphia PA Block caps 3mm high lines or bars 12 1/2?
New York NY. Can't tell if it is a precancel weird double line on one side
New Britain Block caps 3mm high lines 12 1/2 apart
Chicago double precancel?
Brockton Block caps little over 2nnn high 13 apart
Nevada IA ?
Flint MI Block caps 3mm high lines 12 apart

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2350 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
l-r 703, 608, 205, 255, 255 THEN 205, 71, 235, 81, 225, the Chicago is considered a 71 buro with dated-control
Edited by chasa - 07/04/2019 5:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Chasa you have a much better eye than I have. Concerning the Chicago 71 double cancel would the other cancel be just a secondary cancel or would it be a L-52 IHS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2350 Posts
Posted 07/05/2019   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
most would say secondary
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a few more questions on the ID process for these stamps since you have much more experience in precancel stamps than I have. How do you go about zeroing in on the Id of a cancel. I noticed from the PSS Town & Type catalog that the first qualifier is the typeface characteristics of the cancel and then the lines. Does the overall look of the cancel come into play as well?

I noticed that you gave the New Britain cancel a PSS 205 designation even though the type face is 3mm instead of 2mm.

Also I would think that the Brockton cancel would be closer to a PSS 232 due to it being only a 2 line city and state instead of a 3 line city and state.

Anyway I found that properly identifying a cancel one would need the catalog to get you to the proper ID but or at least put you to the closest one. For me I am just starting to get into precancels and if I would want to get more in depth I would need to invest in a newer edition of the Town & Type catalog.

Edited by vacuum man - 07/06/2019 08:56 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05