Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need An Overall Content Index For The Minkus Specialty Albums

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And, I just received my "France" (not "French Community"):
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the Minkus Specialty Albums of "Germany" and "France" overlap -- at least w.r.t. the French Zones of Baden, Rhineland-Palatinate, Wurttemberg-Hohenzollern, and Saar. I wonder what other overlaps there are, and if the pages are different. When my "Germany" album arrives, I'll let you know.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 1970 Germany has DDR & GFR pages 21-107 through 1972
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add electroprecancels to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found an ad sheet from an old Supreme Global supplement in my album that gives a more complete list of Minkus Regional albums at least up to 1965 or so.

Also in the Brazil album, contents include Brazil, Brazil-Condor, Brazil-ETA and Brazil-Varig.

As for the Argentina, Uruguay album, contents include Uruguay, Argentina and Buenos Aires, Corrientes and Cordova.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, THANKS, this does help quite a bit. I have updated my "overall search list" accordingly. And my "detailed country" list according to your Brazil and Argentina info.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Former Portuguese Colonies

no index
Mozambique
Mozambigue franchise stamps
Inhambane
Kionga
Lourenco Marques
Mozambique Company
Nyassa
Quelimane
Tete
Zambezia
Portuguese Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Portuguese India
St Thomas and Prince Islands
Timor
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know what is in the Belgium Specialty album? I found a Belgium album, but it is missing everything except for Belgium itself and I was wondering what I wouldn't be getting?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
351 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know what is in the Belgium Specialty album? I found a Belgium album, but it is missing everything except for Belgium itself and I was wondering what I wouldn't be getting?

The full Minkus Belgium Specialty album includes pages for Belgian Congo and also Ruanda-Urundi.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
607 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minkus Belgium has from the contents page in the 1981 edition:

Belgium
Occupations
Belgian Congo
Ruanda Urundi - Belgian East Africa
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I do have quite a few of both Belgian Congo and Belgian east Africa -- I think I'll wait for a complete album. The bidding leads me to believe that others may well think that the album is complete, as there is very little value in the included stamps.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On a very similar note, there is a "Poland" Minkus Specialty Album listed. Can anyone enlighten me on what should be in it, according to its table of contents page? Again, thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1436 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with your quest for information on the contents of the Minkus Specialty albums. I don't think anybody else recently has tried to do this.

I had a lot of Minkus "feeder" albums in which I transferred the contents to Steiner pages or to the Minkus Supreme. I say "had", because they were part of the downsizing/housecleaning that removed 34 banker's boxes of stamp stuff from the house recently.
So I cannot help with the inventory now.

I am an advocate, though, for WW collectors to consider using the Minkus Supreme as their base for a WW album. The addition of Minkus Specialty albums is a great idea.

http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.co...bum-for.html
Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
607 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The biggest problem with the Minkus Specialty albums is the supplements after you get the initial albums.

Most that I have or have seen are around the early 80's. You will be lucky if they are in good condition and complete.

Supplements are difficult to find if not impossible and can be quite expensive.

As Jk said, use Steiner pages, Minkus Supreme Globals, or the Scott Specialized country albums.

I think you will have far less frustrations
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I completely agree about the supplements. I really like to chronological aspect of Minkus, but I also really like having a place for every stamp variety. A really pet peeve is having a really valuable stamp and having to hang it off the side of the page like an unwanted step child. So, I'm looking for the Minkus Specialty pages for the early years, and then using the Supreme pages for the later years -- with the switch no earlier than the early '60s.

I have one Supreme set dated '61, I think, and two with a '66 copy write. Generally, I can transition with only a couple of stamps overlap -- and I then cover them with some sub-varieties. My problem is finding the base Specialty Albums, and when I come across one, knowing what should be there.. For example, I recently bought a set of Bulgarian pages, not knowing that the album should have also had Albania. But at least now I know that I can just look for Albania.

Or that Poland album that I came across -- not sure what should be there, and don't want to have to buy several of the albums just to get the early stamp pages that should have been there in the first place, e.g., Polish occupations, etc.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MillsapBaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've ordered the "Poland" album, and will post it when it arrives. Eventually, I'd like to put together a full list of the countries, and which albums they are in, but I'm a long way from that at this point. I would still welcome some more contributions! Thanks.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05