Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

10c Washington SC #68 Double Transfer

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
498 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moyock13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In the Scott Specialized it says that there is a 10c Washington (#68) that's a double transfer. But for the life of me I can't find a good example. There are a few posts on eBay that say DT but I don't see it.

Can anyone provide a good example of a Scott #68 Double Transfer?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4224 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example rogdcam!
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, thanks. I've cleaned my glasses several times, but I'm still not seeing a DT. I see a few spots where the ink may have smeared.

Can you point out the DT, please? Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   8:46 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an earlier impression of that DT but I can't post it right now.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 07/06/2019 9:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6438 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the TAG variety. This stamp does have other double transfers in the lettering.
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay ya'll. Sorry for being thick here, but what is TAG variety for a double transfer?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6717 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The double transfer is visible in the letters "TAG" of "POSTAGE",

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The double transfer is along the bottom of the design and has nothing to do with the TAG variety. The TAG variety is NOT a double transfer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6438 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is some doubling in the elements below the "U" and "S".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check this earlier thread for a longer TAG discussion.

http://goscf.com/t/37891
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   06:17 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog, is that your stamp?
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Partime and everyone. I now understand the TAG variety supposed double transfer. Not really a double transfer, more of a defect type transfer or a bit of over inking. And in the link posted about another TAG discussion it was mentioned that Scott only estimated a $5 increase in value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6438 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott has very low values for most double transfers. There are really only a handful that are otherwise, usually either because they are the very large obvious examples like the name #73 or #569, or on certain popular stamps such as #1 and #2. Many are quite scarce despite this; I have been looking for some for years and spent years looking before I found others.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the stamp that I mentioned several months ago. I was relying on memory when I said that it was the same position as the one that rogdcam posted. I don't think it is. They are both from the margins of the plate and I would say from the same plate but not the same plate state. Because of the deep, dark color, it's a nice looking stamp and a pretty good double transfer too.

Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is the stamp that I mentioned several months ago ...

I am also interested in double transfers. On this 2nd image in this thread, there is a strong color streak to the right. What is that?

I have a double transfer (S.35 attached, not as well centered but a nice dated cancel) with an absolute clear doubling of the letters at the bottom and a couple wavy green colored streaks at the top. I don't know what causes those green wavy streaks. Anyone know the answer?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05