Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing A Showgard Mount From An Album Page.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
81 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andyrich74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Mount starting to tear; on of all things, my beloved C15 and I need to replace it.

Yes...first step is remove the stamp from the mount before doing any work...got that!

After that, looking for suggestions to remove the mount without destroying the page.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very tough they are meant to stay. Cut away the offending plastic. Leave the backing on the page and mount the new mount over the old backing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/07/2019 6:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
621 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might try a couple of drops of stamp lift to see it it will come loose.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you moistened both the top and bottom portions of the mount, don't attempt it. I agree with redwoodrandy. Cut the plastic off and attach new mount.
Pillar Of The Community
596 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've just finished removing stamps and many mounts from three different older, somewhat worn out stamp albums which I planned to dispose of after removing all the stamps. In 95% of cases where I attempted to remove a mount, I ended up ripping the page badly. I did this as an experiment to see how likely it was to expect to remove a mount (not very) and how much damage it would do to the album pages (a great deal). And also because I was thinking I might be able to reuse some of the mounts (very few could be removed).

Modern stamp mounts, unlike old-fashioned stamp hinges, are not designed to be removed from album pages. If you find some mounts do come off easily, it's only because the user moistened just a small portion of the back of the mount and did so very lightly. But generally, they're stuck pretty permanently.

This is clearly a negative for stamp mounts for anyone hoping to reuse album pages or needing to remove a mount for some reason.

You can't soak or steam off a mount without ruining the album page. No fluid will remove or soften the glue without also damaging the album page. Pulling at it will rip the page badly. In the few cases where I've wanted to remove a mount but still mount a stamp in that space, I've removed all the loose parts of the mount (they often tear off easily) and leave the upper part which is glued down on the album page. Mounting a stamp usually covers up the remaining part of the mount pretty well.
Edited by DrewM - 07/08/2019 02:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had to remove mounts at times but luckily I can reprint the pages.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree in general with Randy & DrewM. I recently removed some large mounts holding souvenir sheets that I intend to consign to an auction. They came up pretty easily although brought up a bit of paper from the blank, quadrille pages.

I had mounted these myself. The key, as DrewM hints at, is to use just enough moisture to attach the mount without a risk of it falling off. Moral of the story is to cut back on the slobber when one attaches.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I apply moisture to mounts using a Q-tip moistened from a sponge. The cotton does not absorb a lot of moisture so easier to control application. The moisture is applied to a small area (less than 1/4-in or 6mm) in top center.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One solution to this problem is to use removable tape to affix the mounts to your album pages. Don't lick them. Then you can move them around without damaging the pages...
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is also possible to attach a mount with a hinge or two. Looks good and comes of the page easily.
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   11:47 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had pretty good luck using spade tipped tongs and a gentle sawing / circular motion between the album page and the plastic of the mount. I wouldn't use point tipped tongs for this as there's too great a risk of puncturing the album page paper. It takes a while to develop the feel, but once you get it, it works well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One method I'm aware of is to remove all of the mount except what is attached to the page, leaving a remnant of the mount.

Next, replace the mount with another and replace the mount with a new one.

Replace the stamp.

This is frequently do with hingeless albums where one of the mounts is damaged.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2890 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I 've had success with docgfd's method on better paper.

I would'nt try it with the old Minkus pages unless you want a "peekaboo" look to your album.
Valued Member
10 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When faced with mounts on thinner paper where tongs might poke through, I've had some luck using a length of dental floss slipped between the mount and the page to coax the mount loose.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With all due respect to the person who suggested "removable tape," I don't allow tape anywhere near my album pages except to cover small holes. The adhesive can't be trusted.
Learn More...
6968 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   11:55 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good point Steve. Many modern adhesives outgas and since stamps are basically sponges (hygroscopic); they can easily absorb any atmospheric pollutants or acids. The 'take away' for folks who might be experimenting with any modern materials around their stamps;
- always maintain stable temperature and humidity (swings in these variables are what drives paper stamps to exchange atmosphere)
- monitor your stamps over time
- document what you have done and when you did it (understanding these parameters in the future has significant value)
- trust but verify any manufacturer's 'acid free' or 'archival' claims, buy a inexpensive pH pen and periodically test your album
Don
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05