Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Done With Current Material At Year End

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

102 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perf10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going to write this as an open letter to USPS, but I suspect the time that might have made a difference passed long ago.

I've decided to cease collecting current USPS issues, and I see others are posting similar. The final nail in the coffin for me is the dismal Moon Landing issue. After having put up with annual flag, flower, and bird issues, not to mention foods of all sorts, and color-by-number art, I was hoping to be rewarded with some fun and interesting designs for the landing anniversary. Maybe I expected too much. Best wishes to others who decide to keep going, your stomach is stronger than mine.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you feel that the USPS is out of touch with collectors?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by modernstamps - 07/07/2019 7:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1293 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if others feel as I do, but I greatly dislike photo images as the subjects of stamps. Requires very little in the way of imagination and strikes me as a cop-out/short-cut.

I do like the Astronaut photo though; it's an iconic, vintage image and not something one could easily re-create on their own.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are modern stamps engraved?
Valued Member
102 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It reached a tipping point for me. As the need for stamps declines one would think the number of stamps issued would as well, but instead the USPS is doing the opposite. The only explanation is a cash grab. The number of good issues (by collector standards) is now swamped by the amount of junky ones. It's like a worsening signal-to-noise ratio, eventually you just stop listening.
Valued Member
99 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped my US at 2000, and thinking of dropping back to 1978 as my cut off as that was the last year that stamp images were the property of the American People. They now belong to the PO, and I hope they keep them all.
Now I have more time and resources for my Classic Worldwide. To each, his own.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1293 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Louise, at this point in time it would be very uncommon. I think FSAT still issues some engraved stamps, and possibly St. Pierre and Miquelon. I also believe some European countries still issue some engraved stamps, however very few if any are hand-engraved (vs. computer engraved).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
683 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I called it quits in 2005. For me the deciding factor was not so much the stamp designs as the overwhelming cost of keeping current. Increasing postal rates + larger numbers of issues + increased difficulty/impossibility of buying individual stamps at the post office or from the philatelic catalog + lots of varieties of the same boring definitives + the need for mounts in all sorts of crazy shapes and sizes + larger and more expensive album supplements = it just wasn't worth it for me anymore.

I'll still buy a pane or a booklet of something that interests me topically, but that's it. But even there the designs might come into play: I love dragons, so I would have bought last year's dragon stamps if the designs hadn't been garbage.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4213 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   02:00 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The huge supply of associated junk - miniature sheets, booklets etc - as well as the sheer number and size of sets seems to be common to many countries. Fortunately, the UK's shift to decimal currency in 1970 gives a natural cut-off, so I avoid all this. In the first hundred years of stamp production, the UK issued around a dozen commemoratives. Happy days.

I don't cling to engraved stamps as others do. For the last 150 years, the UK's have pretty much been confined to high values.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1141 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped my Australia collection at 1988, my Australian Antarctic Territory collection last year.

I take my hat off to anyone who persevered with a major country through the 1990s, let alone to 2018.
Valued Member
Canada
385 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have similar feelings about Canada Post new issues, and actually think their new stamps are better or "less worse" than many countries. Stopped at 1999 as it seemed like a logical year to end, and for all other countries collect only up to 1959 or thereabouts.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've wrestled with this decision myself, but I have so far decided to continue to collect current U.S. I get the reasons everyone has given for stopping at some point. I complain about the sad new issues that seem to outnumber the good stamps more and more every year. I don't want popsicles, pop culture, and pop art. I want history, and I want handsome stamp images, preferably engraved. Many of the sillier stamps...especially if they are definitives, I don't bother to purchase. I just wait for them to come in the mail to myself or people I know friends and family know to save the stamps from their mail for me. I currently have 2016-18 supplements to add to my album, with most of the applicable stamps. I'll get to them sometime. In the mean time, I'm pursuing other avenues. My Canada collection is coming along nicely. I have the early stamps to fill there, and much to obtain since about 1990. Same with Great Britain. That one is newer, so there are even more holes to fill. And I'm finally starting to get some of the older U.S. stamps I've avoided for so long. Much to find there still as well. I used to ask friends who travel to get me stamps, not caring what they brought me. I've become more picky. Now, those people know the topics I like and look for those. My friend who regularly goes to London always asks me to check the current issues and let her know what I'd like (she just sent me the D-Day stamps).

So to answer the OP...I'm one who hasn't given up...yet.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also stopped in 2000. Seemed like a good marker. The quality(or lack thereof ), quantity, and plethora of odd sized mounts needed for the mini-sheets did me in. I believe it was sometime in the 90's that I read that collectors spent $500 million on stamps every year and asked for no service (i.e. delivery of mail) in return. I think over the years the USPS has slowly killed the goose that laid the golden egg.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1584 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf10,

I'm with you 100% and am quitting after 2019 as well. It has nothing to do with the poor moon landing commemoratives coming up although I agree with you there too. I just hate the USA stamps of today.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1584 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff,

I don't like the UK stamps of today either. In fact, they may be worse than the USA ones. But I'm going to continue to collect UK until the next coronation. Besides, she's been a good queen anyway.

Jack
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4213 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   01:13 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack - I don't think that most GB stamps look that bad - it's more the number of them and the subject matter. And (Christmas stamps aside), the only time that I recall seeing the commemoratives of recent decades in action is when I put them on my eBay lots or receive lots from stamp auction houses. They're just a little money tree that the Post Office shakes every few weeks.

Still coming to England?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05