Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Done With Current Material At Year End

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1589 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff,

We're saving our pennies and hope to make it next year. Stay tuned!

Jack
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2445 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get the feeling the USPS stamp people are driven by artists based upon some of their designs and subject selection. The Coral reef and frogs stamps are too cartoonish.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
596 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I follow. Because the Postal Service didn't issue a moon landing stamp you find attractive, you're so upset that you're not going to collect modern U.S. stamps anymore? Maybe instead, you could give new issues a rest for awhile and then resume later?

There are a whole bunch of new issues I think are really stupid -- cartoon characters and other nonsense. But I still buy the stamps. Have you ever tried to collect modern Japan? It's un-be-liev-able how the Japanese postal service manages to issue one un-be-liev-ably nonsensical cartoon or kewpie doll stamp after another. But apparently that's what people want. You just have to persevere - if you want to collect modern stamps.

If you really don't want to, however, then just don't. No one is really going to care, least of all the U.S. Postal Service.
Edited by DrewM - 07/09/2019 1:48 pm
Valued Member
102 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the dismal moon landing issue was the last straw. Obviously if I've collected this far it did not take many quality issues to keep me buying the drek too, but as of this month the USPS signal-to-noise ratio finally became too poor.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2245 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one is really going to care, least of all except the U.S. Postal Service,
who will miss your business.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1589 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing not mentioned on this thread is the question of long term discoloration which can occur due to the self adhesives being used. This could be another reason to avoid collective these stamps. Some advocate removing the adhesive prior to placing the stamp in the album. But this has pitfalls too, given the quantity of stamps involved and the potential damage adhesive removal can cause.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Since I started ordering stamps via the USPS website 5 years ago, there are 5 or 6 issues that I have saved for my collection out of the 119 I've ordered.

Whether the above "qualifies" me as a collector or not I don't concern myself with. I simply got bored with only using whichever design the ordering person decided on and took matters into my own hands.

I admit some of the designs this year are lacking design wise. These I may pass on altogether since now it appears anything under a full pane has been eliminated from the website.

Bottom line: I have been extremely selective on the issues I save.

-MV
Valued Member
South Africa
219 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same feeling about stamps issued here in South Africa, I stopped buying new issues in 1990, I now only buy the issues that are on my topics.
Regards Ray
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jetjock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My take on this: I pretty much ground my collecting to a halt when the self adhesive stamps became the norm. Engraved stamps bit the dust and it was all modern stamps. If I were king of the postal service I would issue engraved and non-self adhesive for ever. ButI figured that I would never be the king of the postal dept. so around 2012 I started collecting again and realized that the modern pop culture stamps, the photo images etc were the stamps of the current and future generations and my grandkids will look back at these stamps of today and think about their childhood history and with fond memories that pertain to their generation. Although the history in the current stamps is fairly recent, the colors of the flowers, the birds, the landscapes and the pop culture are something that I may never have had the opportunity to explore to the depths that I do and it is because of todays stamps that I get to see the world I might have missed. In the end I am coming to appreciate the current stamps and releases more and more each day.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand why the USPS does not choose a small selection of stamps each year to print in limited quantities. I believe that would help maintain the interest in the hobby and bring in new collectors.

Chris
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
42 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I mentioned in another thread, 2019 will be my last year for US stamps. USPS began to lose me with the move to self-adhesives, although I have to agree that the subject matter of many if not most contemporary US stamps leaves a lot to be desired. I'll continue my focus on US classics and postal history, using the resources I would have spent on modern US issues to improve my collection. At least that's the goal. I do agree with ccrider that if USPS could concentrate on fewer, better designed issues, there might be more interest. But I doubt very much they care about our opinions on this question.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
403 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't understand why the USPS does not choose a small selection of stamps each year to print in limited quantities. I believe that would help maintain the interest in the hobby and bring in new collectors.

The USPS has had multiple issues in the past few years that you could only get by mail-order -- at least the post offices in my neighborhood never stocked them, and philatelic counters aren't really a thing anymore. "Limited issues" that you can't find at the post office do not bring in new collectors, since they will never be exposed to them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2445 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS behaves like other companies trying to reduce cost. They reduce inventory and customer service and that can make the problem worse.
Al
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My belief is that the more unpopular and limited printings done, the higher the likelihood of future value increases. I believe when folks give up collecting, is exactly the time to start.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have little interest in most modern U.S. stamps. In general I started losing interest when the move to self-adhesives happened. The "cancellation" of modern stamps via Sharpie also detracts.

As a general worldwide collector my rough cutoff is 1973. I have plenty of stamps from after this time that will find a home in my albums at some point.

Dale
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05