Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Done With Current Material At Year End

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3856 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, if the USPS issued stamps like the Transcontinental Railroad type as the norm they would grab my interest. I do not think that I am alone. Let us face it, stamps are a utilitarian requirement for most people and what is on the piece of paper does not really matter.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
63 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I came back into being active in this hobby at the beginning of this year after a few years of low activity. I have always been a casual collector and every time I would get active the number of issues being put out by the USPS was overwhelming, and a waste of budget, frankly. So this time around I decided like many of you to just what I like, no matter what that may be. I also decided long ago to break the bounds of pre-printed albums, chose a standard format, and started doing my own album pages focused around the Scott Specialty 2 post binder. If I change my mind, so be it.

This year, I did buy a few new issues from USPS - the Transcontinental Railroad issue tickled my fancy, too. I even bought the box set with the so called "proofs", because I liked them. I also bought a few Canadian issues - those bears fascinated me - and a few British and Australian issues. I am driven by the beauty of a stamp issue and the subject matter. I like Scooby Doo, but I not to buy his stamp.

I also decided to expand my memberships beyond APS to access more journals and publications, leading me to want to learn more about topics involving classic US issues,. Joined this forum, which has been led me to look up even more information.

It may all seem unfocused a bit, but I enjoy the hobby and no longer feel the pressure to keep up with all the new issues. Instead I am just kicking back organizing what I like and learning new things to expand the interests I want.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2614 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2019 USPS Military Dogs issue booklet is so big it cannot be mounted as one piece in any album. It does not even fit in a Mint Sheet album. What were they thinking?
Al
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I love the stamps that they are doing now because they are so much easier to ID for someone who doesn't have excellent eyesight. The early stamps are just to hard to ID. So many of them look the same unless you dissect every detail. When my grandkids look at my albums they look at the new ones.
If you don't want the newer ones send them to me.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
63 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampboylife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with many people here, gradually losing interest in the sticker stamps. I am struggling to find a cut-off date, when to stop my US collection.
I have a statehood collection that I will likely keep up with. And I buy panes here and there of what interests me, like the wild scenic rivers & transcontinental railroad ones.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4527 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to end mine in 1846.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
DrewM:
Who's making you buy all these stamps? No one, really. I buy contemporary U.S. stamps only when I like the design or the subject matter. The others I don't buy. Try it. It's not hard. Instead of buying a hundred new U.S. stamps every year, I buy maybe twenty or thirty, the best of them all. I mount them on blank pages because I see no reason to be chained to my album after a certain cutoff year. Anyone can do this. Buy what you like, and don't buy what you don't like. It's a free country, and all that. Stop complaining that you're being forced to buy all these stamps you don't like.

What Drew said!

Self-adhesives are something of a paradox. As a mailer I love them and as a collector I hate them. I believe they are generally popular with the public, a return to "lick and stick" would not be well received, and this is one genie that will never be put back in the bottle. As annoying as they are I'm not going to stop collecting stamps, countries, or topics I like just because of self-adhesives.

I purchase the U.S. mint commemorate set each year (now called the Stamp Yearbook with Collectible Stamp Packet). Except for se-tenant sheets individual stamps only are provided. This is probable not the least cost approach but mounts are included and one is not buying entire sheets. If I have to purchase an entire sheet or booklet at the Post Office I can cut out a single or singles to mount and use the rest for personal postage (yes I know, people don't postal mail as much anymore). Or, churches and other organizations still do some mailing to their members and I've donated stamps in lieu of a monetary contribution where there is a will there is a way is my motto.

As for modern designs, I don't care much for the "pop-culture" themes (such as Dragons and Scooby-Doo), but "Honoring First Responders" (9/3/18), "Post Office Murals" (4/10/19), "State and County Fairs" (7/25/19), as well as the Transcontinental railroad issue fit in with the commemorative's issued from the 1930's onward.

My local post office (99330) is small, rural, and has a single Postmaster/Clerk, yet it carries all regular stamp issues so I'm uncertain why other post offices might not? One thing about them, because it is a small P.O. they don't receive a large quantity of each issue and if they sell out they don't reorder as new issues are always coming in. Periodically (each quarter I think?) they are supposed to return any stamps issued before a certain date (I'll have to ask how old next time I'm there), so I've learned to buy stamps I like sooner rather than later after the issue date.
Edited by moneil - 12/09/2019 2:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy yearly USPS Yearbooks once they come out each year or every other
Year as the older ones often can be bought at a discount.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05