Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Q12 Reperfed On The Right?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would like opinions please. Reperfed, perfs added or normal?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To my eyes, it is reperfed where you suspected. The holes themselves are not rounded, especially the the last 5-6 perfs towards the bottom. Mine is a purely amateur opinion.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2886 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes my head spin.

The perforation holes on the bottom look larger than those on the other three sides.

On the other hand, the perforation holes on the right side don't look to be square with those on the other three sides; the margin gets wider towards the bottom.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal to me.

I took the top perfs to compare with the other sides. Full disclosure: a short section of the top was used and was extended against the bottom perfs by repeating and overlapping a small portion.

Quote:
the perforation holes on the right side don't look to be square with those on the other three sides.

I think they are. The perfs on the right were roughly punched; note the large chip within the 4th hole from the top. Many of the holes below that are incompletely punched/not perfectly round; worn pins, maybe. The gauge/spacing is correct to me, the hardest thing to forge. With perforating wheels used, the opposite sides should be essentially parallel; the whole stamp will not necessarily be perfed absolutely square. The side perfs vs. the top and bottom are out of square by about 1.5 degrees here.

Don't expect perfectly formed round perfs on genuine stamps.

Edited by hy-brasil - 07/08/2019 03:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your input with a special thanks to Hy-brazil. Great stuff!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting approach. Not sure why perf pins in one line would be more/less worn than another line since they theoretically both experience the same number of cycles during manufacturing. Right side still looks odd to me.
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A big problem is unskillful removal of hanging chad. When done improperly the holes have a strange appearance. Additionally, poor removal of unpunched perforations also leads to an odd appearance.
Valued Member
99 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfs at top right closer to design border than perfs at bottom right = perfs on right side added to straight edged stamp.
Valued Member
262 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think wtcrowe makes the correct call here, think someone excavated attached perf discs at right to improve appearance of centering. "Played with", and off-putting, but not quite reperforated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to see a close-up of the reverse, zoomed in on the side in question.
Valued Member
Israel
463 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the ignorance, what is "reperfed", other than the verbally obvious meaning of stamps being perforated after production?
The site's glossary considers it to be too obvious to need explanation.
Edited by Rob Roy - 07/20/2019 7:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Short for reperforated which means perforations added or missing/damaged perforations replaced in order to enhance a straight edged or damaged stamp. An alteration.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2023 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   12:40 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Not sure why perf pins in one line would be more/less worn than another line since they theoretically both experience the same number of cycles during manufacturing."

It is quite common for perf holes to non-uniform. The mentioned hanging chads is a perfect example - cut most of the way around but incompletely cut on one side and they hang from the same side of the hole, thus from the same side of the stamp.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05