Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The End Of The US Dollar Denominated Money Orders By Canada Post

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 665Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1236 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add No1philatelist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just found out last week that Canada Post will stop issuing U.S. dollar denominated postal money orders and stop cashing USPS issued money orders on August 30, 2019. At the same time USPS will stop cashing Canada Post money orders.

Canada Post began selling moneygrams on June 10, 2019. It is a money transfer company which has its headquarters based in Dallas, Texas, USA.

Once again, Canada Post claims that this is an "affordable solution." A $499.99 U.S. denominated money order cost was $7.50. Moneygrams up to $500.00 U.S. will cost $10.00. Yea, that sure is more affordable? For who? edit: I am referring to US money orders and not worldwide.

The moneygram with the "simplified fee structure will help customers anticipate their cost to send a moneygram anywhere in the world." "This affordable solution will set us apart from the competition and drive customers to our post offices."
I don't think so.

Obviously affordable for persons with the xtra funds. Of couse you could always use Moneygram online. Maximum 990 cdn about 730.00 U.S. Cost is $5.00 if paying with debit card, $15.00 for cash and $5.00 for credit card but with card fees and interest for cash advances. And don't forget, it is a money transfer service and payable in USA as cash only during normal work hours. Not cashable at the bank. But maybe that is simplified too much to understand.

I guess in the end they dream of ways to increase their bottom lines by getting costs and expenses down, but in the end they lose sight of the fact that they are charging more for less and driving buisness away and that they will not get back. Gee you don't even have to pay for a postage stamp to send a moneygram online.
What were they thinking?
Send note to Staff
Edited by No1philatelist - 07/07/2019 11:24 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The difference between Canada Post and USPS: The Canadian domestic money order fee is C$7.50 (too); the US domestic money order fee is US$1.25 for $500 and under, $1.70 up to $1000.

We have some local USPS clerks that panic when they have to count cash for money orders. Also recently, I heard a clerk adamantly tell a customer could not buy a $2000 money order. After some back and forth, somebody in line pointed out that the customer could buy 2 $1000 money orders, to which he was totally agreeable. The clerk remained baffled for about 10 seconds longer.

I can see the day when both our post offices will sell stamps but not accept them for mail.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 07/08/2019 04:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lady in front of me in grocery story paid $450 cash for her groceries. Poor clerk had to count the bundle twice to be sure it was right. Guess I'm old fashioned. Use your debit or credit card for groceries. Send cash via your bank. Carrying around piles of cash, delaying grocery lines and intimidating clerks makes no sense. Well, maybe I'm just in a hurry.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05