Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Will You Be Collecting New Stamp Issues By The USPS?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a general worldwide collector with a stopping point around 1973, I don't generally bother much paying attention to new issues. I do make exceptions for stamps on incoming mail if they haven't been damaged or pen/marker cancelled along the way.

There may also be some newer issues I do purchase at some point because of underlying interest in the subjects displayed, such as the British royal family or certain scientific topics.

Dale
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sderms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I voted no. When I resumed my collection of US stamps, about 2 years ago, after a 20+ years absence, I was overwhelmed by the number of stamps I had to find and purchase. Thanks to the availability of online services, eBay, hipstamps, etc, and this forum, the task was made much easier. Much more convenient than going to stamp shows (other than some local shows in my area), dealers' stores, the philatelic window at my local post office or the postal service. At the outset, I decided to stop in the early 90's but then decided to continue to 2000, notwithstanding my dislike of adhesive backed stamps, the numerous booklet and multiple stamp issues, and what I considered silly looking stamps. Needless to say, the huge number of stamps issued each year (the chart posted was great), the cost of postage (and the fact that I hardly ever use mail any more), pre-mounted album pages or the cost of mounts factored into my decision. As for the future, my children and grandchildren, with whom I have discussed my "collection", showed little interest and I doubt very much that they or their children will be disappointed that I stopped collecting. Nor do I feel that currently issued stamps will ever have any increased value. However, I do appreciate some of the comments contained in this thread. I am disappointed that my grandparents didn't buy and preserve classical US stamps when they came to the US but that is because those classical stamps are what made stamp collecting interesting to me and helped me lean so much about history and the country. Collecting for the sake of collecting is good enough for me and I would rather concentrate on going back and filling in those issues that were (and probably still are) beyond my financial reach, rather than spend my resources on issues that I don't find interesting or artistic.
Valued Member
325 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but collect them as postally used singles.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PapaBear to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In recent years, I've purchased the FDC from the USPS of new issues. When I need postage, I will buy a sheet of something I like, save a block of 4, and use the rest.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
42 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2019 will be the last year for which I collect new US stamps. I began to lose interest in modern US issues when self-adhesives came on the scene. Just don't like them, don't like mounting them, and most of the designs are uninspiring. Same with most of the souvenir sheets. Bought them, but don't care for them since they seem mostly to be a gimmick to increase revenue. Nothing wrong with that, and lord knows USPS needs money, but souvenir sheets seem contrived to me. Only recent exception, in my humble opinion, is the 2019 Transcontinental Railroad 150 year anniversary sheet/stamps. Beautiful! So, I limit my collecting to the classics, to about 1940 or so. Bring back the good ole days!
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get what appeals to me.
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 08/05/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ezeta63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really enjoy the modern stamp designs, I collect mostly used, but I will buy mint, the ones I really like. The cost to collect mint adds up fast, I'm not going to buy a sheet when I only need one stamp. Luckily there are sellers on eBay that will sell mint singles which makes it a little easier.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05