Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 0235 O.h.m.s.stamp Used - Or Is It..?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 07/09/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was going through my O.H.M.S. collection..Went through about 1000 Scott 0235 and was looking for revered O.H.M.S. and broken pins, etc.

Came across a Scott 0235 (The one on the left side) that looked canceled, but when I turned it over to my surprise it was 100% gummed...Stamp on the right is a normal cancelled stamp with no gum...See below

Now I thought, ok, it probably was re gummed...So I took close up of outside perfs and O.H.M.S, perfin holes...I have been approached at the local stamp club by people in the past and explained to them that their stamp(s) are re gummed....Explained that 99% of all re gummed stamps have glue dripping into the perfin holes and perf edges..Take a look at these closeups and they have no glue in perfs and O.H.M.S. perfin holes..It has been cancelled, but hard to explain why full gum (old gum) still exists..See below..Strange...Any ideas guys.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moschophoros to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any possibility it's CTO? I have quite a few Canadian CTOs, but none quite that old.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1209 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The non-glued stamp was attached to another stamp and both were used as postage on an envelope. One was not moistened, so did not adhere to the envelope leaving the original glue intact, but it was cancelled.
Pillar Of The Community
6475 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A cancelled to order (also called and abbreviated CTO) postage stamp is a stamp the issuing postal service has cancelled (marked as used), but has not traveled through the post, but instead get handed back to a stamp collector or dealer.

Moschophoros...You make a good point..could very well be what happened.

Quote:
One was not moistened, so did not adhere to the envelope leaving the original glue intact, but it was cancelled.

BlackJag...That is what I was leaning towards as a reason why it had full gum.

Now here is a couple of questions this brings to mind.

1-Is a used stamp only when it has gone through the postal system..?
2-Is a used stamp only when cancelled..Now the silly thing is after a stamp has been cancelled, accordingly to Canada Post, a stamp can not be placed for service after it was previously cancelled..Against the law.

Very interesting stamp for sure.
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
2208 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canceled = used.
You are over analyzing this.
Put it away and get on with your life.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1209 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would also consider a stamp that has been used as postage, but not cancelled, to be used - as the gum is damaged or gone.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05