Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Me!!! So....many....stamps.....

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add FarFigNu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to whoever is reading this!
I am drowning in stamps and feel like my head is going to explode. The collection is HUGE and I have already been scammed out of my Zeppelin stamps. I have been to several different people in several different stamp selling categories and I am at the end of my rope. No, I do not want to sell the entire lot for $100! I have been asked this question by all of them. I am open to suggestions, please, on how to go from here. Thank you for reading!!!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3554 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US? Foreign? Albums? Scans of the earlies would be nice.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FarFigNu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
4-5 books. Tons of foreign and domestic. Plus evelopes galore. I will try and post some shortly. Problem is... My grandmother started pulling the stamps out of the books, she wanted to "condense". So I have 4 books with stamps no longer in them and lots of loose stamps. Those are the onea really driving me bonkers. Trying to sort, and tell the difference between color shades.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Farfignu, Odd that you were scammed out of your zepplin stamps. Why did you let that happen? Are you a collector, did you inherit a collection, mint, used, ??? You should read the forum http://goscf.com/f/57
Also The library has catalogues, if you did not get any with the collection. As well please understand that the prices quoted are catalogue prices which mean little. The condition is all important and maybe you thought you were ripped off. Without a clear image of both sides of the stamp, no one can even estimate the value of them, as what they are worth to them or would be a fair price.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3554 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
inherited from grandma. Post some scans especially of the earlier date (oldest) stamps. Shades take a whole lot of experience and study and usually require a reference collection. Move on.
What are the album (book) titles?
Post a scan of at least one of the covers (envelopes).
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/12/2019 02:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2347 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
good advice for inheritors of stamps: do not 'condense'. keep everything in the original albums. moving and reorganizing things only risks damage and makes evaluation more difficult.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FarFigNu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FarFigNu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely do not sell these for $100. I'm sure the Zeppelin covers are worth quite a bit, although not an expert in covers. The two Zeppelins are worth in the hundreds, as in a couple hundred. Or were these the ones you were scammed out of?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3554 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Condition is important. Hinged Zeppelins. Cover bent. Do you want to learn more?Start collecting? Sell? Appraisal? There is a reputable dealer/auction house 1 hour from you. What are your intentions?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3081 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There appears to be value but condition means a lot and the zep cover is bent (creased?), the C13 has some top perf damage, the album page is creased and has been torn out of its binder etc.. This material is now being or has been roughly handled and as a result dollar bills are flying out of the window.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FarFigNu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The ones listed I was "scammed" out of. I reached out to a popular auction house. They set up with me to meet someone who could assess if I had anything worth consigning. After 15 minutes, which I thought was quite short considering the amount, he said nothing was of value, but there were a few pieces he was interested in personally. He pulled the page from the book, and offered me $100 for the lot. I, thinking non the wiser, was happy to recoup my gas money for the drive at least. I am now fearful of this happening again. I have more pictures of items, technical difficulties posting though. But the collection is so large and mixed up, I don't how to get help besides posting 100s of pictures. Also, our local libraries do not carry any Scott's stamp books, and they are a bit too pricey to purchase. I am open to any and all suggestions.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FarFigNu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
71 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can only speak to US stamps in terms of giving you some opinions/advice; but if you have photos of US stamps issued on or before 1920, can provide some info to at least get you in to the right zip code. Might require you to get a perfortion gauge; which is cheap (as in like $1.50) for some of the Washington/Frankin issues if you have any.

Any airmails "after" the zeppelins, which were a 1930 issue are not worth posting. Did you take photos of what you sold?

If you have any US special delivery stamps, anything earlier than 1922 is going to be where some more valuable stamps lie.

Official US stamps also can have some pretty significant worth monetarily.

Here is a link to a site that might help identify what you might have: http://www.theswedishtiger.com/unit...s-menu.html. There are good photos there to hopefuly narrow down what you might have.

That said, relax and keep sending photos. If you want to start a thread on only your US stamps, be glad to help. With your non-US; there are plenty of folks that know a ton more than I do (which is virtually nothing,) but sure they will be glad to help.
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ananthveerappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
popular auction house, setting up with someone!!!!!!!

That doesn't sound good at all !

Didn't we see something around RMPL recently - about stamps being stolen or cheated out during appraisal !
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it is the mood I am in, not great, As s I need to say something. There are some very basic things to learn before collecting stamps, and surely before selling them. Zeps have value to somebody, period. Roos trains planes and heck I don't feel sorry for you. You DROVE there? I don't care, pull this down if you think it is to mean but really. Enough!!!! Hey I like Green Queens... I am weird.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05