Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Possibly An Essay?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add daf_16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was in the collection I inherited. Not sure exactly what it is. Hoping maybe someone else may! It's thinner paper, bond maybe? Full size sheet with image centered.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An essay is a long written piece. You may be thinking of that other word I can't remember right now.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3080 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rogdcam, I learned something here. And, Vignette was what I had read of and was thinking of, trying to remember the word. A picture for a stamp.
Does a Vignette have to be a repeatedly used- with different denominations stamp? Like what I call the walking lady in the early French stamps? A sort of definitive?
Pillar Of The Community
France
535 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The walking lady or the barefoot sower?
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is her! And, you see the horizon line and sun coming up in the background so this one is older that the ones without that. The ones without that are called-sometimes called- floating and are not as old. I really like these. Any links to learn more about them will be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Louise411 - 07/13/2019 04:10 am
Learn More...
6784 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   04:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion it is not the sower; the hair is wrong, the headdress is wrong, the clothing is wrong, the ethnicity is wrong. It would be pretty risque for the 1920-1930s. To my eye, the image that daf_16 shows almost seems to be drawn in a 1960s comic book style.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   05:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a 1940s drawing for Wonder Woman.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for the feedback all. I'll continue my search! I also thought she looked a big like a comic/Wonder Woman sketch. I wasn't so sure about the paper though!
Pillar Of The Community
2064 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any actual connection that this item is postal/fiscal - even an incomplete design for something. No word/number/governmental features at all. The risqué see-through bra top. I am very skeptical.

That observation made ... I will go onward ...

I get no sense from the scan: How large is the printed image area? How large is the paper it is printed on?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3080 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like my ex-wife.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have decided that the drawing is to copy a tattoo line on a sailors bicep so he could flex his arm and make her, "Dance" These were very popular during WW11
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2711 Posts
Posted 07/14/2019   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a children's tattoo piece to me. We used to buy these in sheets at the newsstands or drug stores back in the 1950's...before there were 7-11's or K Marts. This was when candy bars were 5c.

They were only one or two colors and looked more like "the real thing". You spit on your arm, wiped it a bit and applied the paper. Remove the paper, and you got it. Very easy... and made you ready to pick up your toy gun and head for the dirt piles with the rest of the gang.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/14/2019 5:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's it!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05