Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Literature, Including Catalogs, About Early Colombia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add will to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I recently bought a -hopefully- nice collection of Colombia stamps but I have zero literature about Colombian stamps. Well, I've a copy of "Handbook of the Scadta Provitionals" by Cruz and Bortfeldt, but that's about it.

I bought "Catálogo histórico filatélico", 1984, by Leo Temprano but I haven't received it yet.

What other literature would you folks recommend? For my specialized collection (Venezuela's ESCUELAS and locals stamps) I'm very interested in identifying its fakes and counterfeits... I'd love to do the same for Colombia: I want to be sure that I have the real deal for every stamp.

In terms of catalogs, in addition to the one I bought, I'd love to get my hands on an old Barriga, probably late 70s or early 80s.

Thanks in advance!
Will
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The APRL has several editions of the Barriga catalog. If you are an APS member you can borrow it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
912 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will

I collect Colombia. I use the Temprano 1984 and my Barriga 1980 is used so much it is falling apart. I also use a 1926 Scott catalog. It lists some material that is not listed now. Other catalogs will help: Stanley Gibbons Part 20 1980, Michel and Yvert & Tellier.

For Venezuela, try to get a copy of Blanco.

Some information can be had in my tables:
https://app.box.com/s/lpxrbt86tyhswwo7eg18

I have some other material that may help, so e-mail me at
jerrybemail-Stamps 'at' Yahoo 'dot' com and I'll see what else I can dig up. In the meantime, until you get a Barriga, feel free to ask any questions.

Jerry B

Valued Member
Denmark
423 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For forgeries, the books to get is without a doubt:

"The Workbook - Notes on Reprints and Forgeries of Colombian Stamps" published by Dieter Bortfeldt in 3 volumes.
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add will to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ClassicalStamps: I found the second volume... haven't found the first yet... and I won't need the third for a while. Thanks a lot!

Jerry: I'm taking a look at your link. It's a gold mine! Thanks lot!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
939 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try http://copaphil.org/

The Colombia Philatelic Society
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05