Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Notice Some Ebay Sellers No Longer Can Process A Paypal Payment?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

71 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Redtail to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have run into this issue more and more lately on eBay when an established Seller I have paid via PayPal using a direct debit to my checking account, no longer works/is accepted? TDStamps in NYC is an example that pops to mind. Today this happened with an APS dealer I have purchased from for almost 2 years now. This is a negative to me and impacts my bidding as I don't like paying high interest or late fees! (to fix that I use my debit credit as a VISA credit card for transaction). I like having all my stamp purchase payments on PayPal for a good record (as ebays systems are not responsive for multiple transactions)

Is this part of the transition away from PayPal for eBay? It seems maybe?

Sellers say they accept PayPal but eBay grays out the option so it goes into the twilight zone of eBay systems. I just paid by CC to avoid a lot of wasted time, effort and potential delays. I don't like not being able to use PayPal when I have in the past and the communication on the issue seems lacking.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Redtail - 07/13/2019 2:32 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4531 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   2:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If sellers have opted into eBay's "Managed Payments" system, they currently cannot accept PayPal, although eBay promises that PayPal will be included later this year.

Personally, I don't trust eBay one iota, and will never use Managed Payments until I have no other recourse.

Opting into Managed Payments has screwed many eBay sellers, as the decision is irrevocable. You cannot opt out once in. So sellers are playing with their livelihoods to be unpaid beta testers for eBay.

Not only "No!" but "[CENSORED] NO!"

Given eBay's long track record of rolling things out prematurely without adequate testing, opting into ANYTHING early with eBay is a recipe for disaster.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/13/2019 2:56 pm
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thx revenuecollector for the Seller inside info. Most Buyers are in the dark on this important development and forced down a path they did not bargain for.

I'm trying to "opt out" from these Sellers with much reduced bidding activity until this technological problem is resolved.
Edited by Redtail - 07/13/2019 3:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1223 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   3:32 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most sellers are in the dark also and eBay is "helping" by not making changes before supporting reports are deployable. It had been apparent for a very long time that eBay needed to assign order numbers to combined orders. They must have recently noticed, because eBay now has "Order Numbers" and "Legacy Order Numbers". Some recent orders may have both.

However, back to the question: According to eBay, sellers in the misManaged Payment program can accept PayPal payments. It may be that sellers turned themselves into the program last year may be still waiting for PayPal. (Or is it Godot?)

The best alternative for buyers would be to search for the seller's listings on HipStamp if listed with eBay Sync. In addition to accepting PayPal, HipStamp is not yet collecting internet sales taxes as a Market Facilitator. Another option is to send the seller a check, if the seller is known to you. According to reports seller processed checks will avoid eBay Payments processing and fees. Ditto if the seller can process credit cards remotely through their web site. I suppose eBay will someday attempt to stop any and all end runs around their system.
Edited by cfrphoto - 07/13/2019 3:37 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05