Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Illegal Postage As Revenue Usage That Is Apparently More Scarce Than One Would Think.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4531 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   2:46 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I encountered this document on Eric Jackson's website over the Independence Day weekend, I initially glossed over it as "meh, just another 2-cent banknote illegal usage"... but then I paused, reflected, and started looking through my records and my collection for a similar example... and couldn't find one.

It's tied, which is nice; something you don't always find, but what's so special about it?

This is actually the first example I have ever seen of one of the grilled banknotes used illegally as a revenue (Scott #135). It's hard to see in the image, but the grill is located in the southeast quadrant of the stamp.

I own many illegal usage examples of the grilled 1869 pictorial issue, as well as the grilled definitives of 1867, and you can locate examples of both without too much difficulty. They cost more than usages of the nongrilled issues of 1861, but if you can afford them they are obtainable. Scarcity is not so much a barrier as cost, scarcer grill types and denominations notwithstanding.

I also have numerous examples of the later nongrilled banknotes used as revenue stamps. Those actually tend to be a step down in therms of scarcity and cost.

So why are the grilled banknotes not found used as revenue stamps when the postage stamps issued both before and after them are?
Send note to Staff
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/13/2019 2:47 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6031 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They probably are, but the grills were not always impressed strongly and are not always visible from the front of the stamp easily or at all.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05